Help Me Troubleshoot Ultra 130?

Hey Forum,

I'm kind of a newbie, and I'm having problems with my '03 Ultra 130 DI.

I bought it used about 1 1/2 months ago. When the seller let me test ride it, he had forgotten to put the cap on the garden hose inlet, and when I rode it, the hull filled with about 6" of water! We yanked it, drained it, capped it, then rode again...everything was great.

Since then I have put about 12 hours on it with super great performance and no issues.

The problem: Yesterday I took it out and when I punch it out of the hole, it just bogs and only goes about 10 mph and maybe 2000 rpm tops. It kinda rumbles, and tries to go, but can't get the rpm's up. I checked the intake grate/impeller area--nothing stuck in there. When I dry start it, it revs up to full rpm. But under a load, it just won't hook up.

Tested the compression and that looks fine. But the plugs are looking pretty foul, like I'm running rich--these plugs only have 12 hours on them, and shouldn't be so black. I've noticed that I've been idling a little chunky lately too.

It seems like it's an electronics issue. I mentioned the water in the hull back when I test rode this thing, because maybe the water started to mess with something over time and now it's surfacing?

Where do I start?

Change plugs sounds like you fouled one. It will rev out of water because there is no load on it.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Change plugs sounds like you fouled one. It will rev out of water because there is no load on it.
    Thanks, but that didn't do it. I think the issue is: Why is it running so rich?

+1
    I just got on here to post the same problem for my 150. Brother filled it with water and now it wont rev up in the water. Mine gets to about 5 grand or 40ish mph and then just kicks back to 3200 or so. I'll try plugs and see what that does.

I have it at my mechanic's shop now. He thinks it's the TPS (throttle position sensor). Perhaps putting new plugs in would solve my performance issue, but I think the underlying problem is that it's running rich (and thus, fouling the plugs), and this is being caused by a bad TPS. It could also be the fuel map sensor or O2 sensor.

He's going to test everything Thursday, I hope. As far as water in the hull, I'm beginning to understand that all PWC are pretty sensitive to any water in the wrong spots. He suggests electric bilge pumps for all watercraft.

You would think that water wouldn't be such a damn issue. Any veteran guys out there, what's your take? How bad must you dunk your ski to cause a problem?

I will post when I get more info. I am in the process of learning how to wrench these things. I'm going broke paying someone!

I have put a couple of skis on the bottom of the atlantic..Luckily in shallow water. drained them cranked them and all was well. My take is they are pretty bullit proof. I have been riding and owning ski's since the early 90's. I coat everything pretty well with Boeshield T-9 also.

Thread Information