Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intake Grates

Intake Grates

Are there any intake grates that you will find a gain in top speed in calm water?

I would like to know the answer to that as well. On all other ski's that I've owned the stock grate was fastest on smooth water. With any aftermarket grate on those ski's with the exception of the odd looking Inventioneering grate you could actually feel it slow down when you hit glassy water. The way everyone talks about the Riva it sounds as if it may pick up speed which would be odd.

there are a couple different types of aftermarket grates. Riva has the best one from what i have read on here. i have the riva one and have been very happy with it! if u use the search box u can look up all the posts about grates.

i used the riva intake grate while it was still stock with the o.p.a.s block up kit and riva sponsons i did not notice any speed gain or loss in smooth water.

the exeption is that even in most smooth water conditions you also get other boaters wich makes waves and no more smooth water conditions.

as result for $129 it is worth the investement, and no loss or gain of speed but you gain when things get rougher

riva also claims that it helps the hook up for controll

hope it helps you guys a little bit just my assesment

+1
    I thought i was loosing speed with my Riva grate so i put my stock grate back on. I lost 3.7 MPH I thought that couldn't be right so i immediately put the Riva grate back on and my speed came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    I thought i was loosing speed with my Riva grate so i put my stock grate back on. I lost 3.7 MPH I thought that couldn't be right so i immediately put the Riva grate back on and my speed came back.
    hey jerry what stage kit did you lose 3.7 mph? defenetly not stock right?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    I'm no expert tuner but if you lost that much speed going back to a stock grate I would think there was something funky going on with your impeller pitch and/or nozzle size that maybe wasn't the best that it could be.

Jerry, do you have any problems with putting the mounting screws in and out? do you use red loc-tite?...PR...

+1
    No, far from stock.

Nothing funky going on with my impeller/nozzle combo either.

I ran 77+ with the Riva grate. Went straight to the landing and installed the stock grate. Ran the ski and noted the speed loss. Went back to the landing and put the Riva back on. Ran the ski and the speed came back.

It's called pump overstuff! The Riva grate has thicker bars than stock which let less water in the shoe at high speed reducing overstuff.

Im going to experiment with thickening the bars even more on the grate which should increase speed even more.

This is the same thing the GPR guys are seeing by going with the 800 grate over the 1200 grate

Yes, i use red loc tite and never had an issue with removing and reinstalling the bolts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information