Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MSD Coils

MSD Coils

i was thinking of buyin the msd ignition coils for my xl1200 limited...i want to buy the entire msd ignition system but im buyin it slowely piece by piece...is it worth buyin the coils for the msd ignition system? and are there any flywheels for sale?

If you want to replace the coils youa are better off buying the Sea-Doo 951 Coils They have a 24k volt output over 18k that the Yamaha put out.

Go to a better set of plug wires. Back in the day I got a set of Splitfire V-Charger wires from Japan that I saw on the Yamaha Watercraft website.

http://www.bikeparts.jp/img/categoryImages/0687-1L.JPG

As far as flywheels, my recomendation would be to keep the stocker and go with an Advent CDI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coil.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	30114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coils2.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	30115  

Banned User
    +1
    I dont think you will see any real world performance gain from the coils BUT if you are going with the msd then stick with their coil would be the best bet for longjevety compabilty ect. The msd flywheel will alow you to "supposedly "rev up quicker and probly does but it also allows you to rev down quicker,this can be a lerning curve for rough water in learing how much to let off. If you are staying with the stock pipe then I think the stock ingnetion would be the best, msd means gas valves and again no real world performance gain, for gas valves. They have their own problems like the stockers do. Stock cdi with a mild keyway will do the same job for a lot less money. Man there are a lot of different keyways out there now and its easy to get one that raises the timming too much and no 3 goes boom uasaly in the midrange. If the cdi has the proteck mod DO NOT use a keyway....
    Last edited by Rocketman; 07-04-2007 at 08:48 AM.

so mus i buy the Sea-Doo 951 Coils and the splitefire charge plug wires keep the stock flywheel and buy a the advent cdi?....and what other things would i need to get the full preformance?

You dont need to change anything to get an Advent. If you think that your coils are tired and its time to change the plug wires, then you can do it. The other option for wires are also MSD wires, I hear they work very well also and should be a lot cheaper, I have also used NGK racing wires.
    What is everything that you have done to your ski???

i only have a ride plate, intake grate and a 12/18 prop with rejetted carbs. i also have 1300 cylinders.. the entire topend. just say a 1300 engine carberated

Banned User
    +1
    Coils and wires will not give you any performance. Lots of better places to spend money for performance.

A milled head and or a timming advance of 3 degress would do nice for you.
    Next reeds then porting would be the oder of engine work I would do.

Note the only thing I do is the reeds and thats down the list a ways.
    Last edited by Rocketman; 07-04-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Coils and wires will not give you any performance. Lots of better places to spend money for performance.

A milled head and or a timming advance of 3 degress would do nice for you.
    Next reeds then porting would be the oder of engine work I would do.

Note the only thing I do is the reeds and thats down the list a ways.
    I agree but the reeds give you more gain on top than the keyway, besides I belive that he is somewhere in the caribean, and if fuel octane is an issue, he is better off with then reeds than the head and keyway. If you need reeds any send me a PM.

Consider also a Jetworks flow control mod and an 05 pump conversion with a stock dynafly and also Jim's Pump Shoe/Rideplate/Intake grate conversion.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fercho View Post
    I agree but the reeds give you more gain on top than the keyway, besides I belive that he is somewhere in the caribean, and if fuel octane is an issue, he is better off with then reeds than the head and keyway. If you need reeds any send me a PM.

Consider also a Jetworks flow control mod and an 05 pump conversion with a stock dynafly and also Jim's Pump Shoe/Rideplate/Intake grate conversion.

Reeds are just alot more money than the keyway. About 50 to 60 rpms with the keyway 12.95 reeds delta 2s 130 rpm 400.00 delta 3s 550.00 or so and 80 to 90 rpms.
    Jetworks is not worth the trouble for me, been more than one person sink their boat because of it but some think its great. supposedly more bottom I never saw it on the stalker stats.

0 5 pump conversion is 500.00 dollars for about .75 mph and a little acerlation.
    Head should give about 150 rpm or 1.5 mph. Side benifet of the head is the gas consumption will go way down.
    Also raising the timming to optuim will improve the gas mileage.
    Anywhere at sealevel should have 93 grade fuel but 92 should be ok.

I would not mod the shoe on a gpr but Jims plate is a good idea. If you have an xlt I have no experience on that pumpshoe setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Reeds are just alot more money than the keyway. About 50 to 60 rpms with the keyway 12.95 reeds delta 2s 130 rpm 400.00 delta 3s 550.00 or so and 80 to 90 rpms.
    Jetworks is not worth the trouble for me, been more than one person sink their boat because of it but some think its great. supposedly more bottom I never saw it on the stalker stats.

05 pump conversion is 500.00 dollars for about .75 mph and a little acerlation.
    Head should give about 150 rpm or 1.5 mph. Side benifet of the head is the gas consumption will go way down.
    Also raising the timming to optuim will improve the gas mileage.
    Anywhere at sealevel should have 93 grade fuel but 92 should be ok.

I would not mod the shoe on a gpr but Jims plate is a good idea. If you have an xlt I have no experience on that pumpshoe setup.
    Well we seen to have a pissing match here , obviously we disagree on this recommendation, The man ask for ignition components and the topic got out of hand, One persons opinion or STALKER reading carries no weight against hundreds of satisfied people that have done a particular mod and are happy with it and have been able to prove it works when testing their setup against others. This topic is out of phase, now even a GPR pump shoe is being discussed when the man has an XLT.

Jim hit speeds of 72 MPH n his XLT with the modifications that I have recommended holeshooting and outrunning other ski's in its own class by far . I think that by itself carries some weight!!!!!!!

Once again, have a great 4th.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information