Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Idle Too High

Idle Too High

Has anyone tried to turn down the idle on a 4tec? Mine are close to 1800 and it is just too high for slow speed manovering. How low can you go?

+1
    I tell you, I am a GPR guy and thought I would "help" someone load their RXP on the trailer. The idle was so high I like to have drove it up in the back of his truck. Scared the chit out of me and scratched his hull on his fuel rack. Made me freaken sick.

+1
    Slow speed maneuvering, my ski steers like car with it's brakes locked up on an icy road when idling, any slower I could not even steer it.

Might be as simple as a throttle cable adjustment. Mine runs about that as well. Personally I wouldn't change it. Is everybody elses ski idling at 1700-1800 rpm? If your worried about overshooting maybe you can hit neutral on your reverse bucket handle

+1
    yup, they idle at 1800 rpm. My wifes RXP idles at that too. normal.
    Use the reverse lever and slightly pull it in the neutral position to slow it down if need be.

Leave more bunks out of the water too to help slow it down driving up.

+1
    I've been thinking for a while that I should only use Liquid Rollers on the '97 GTI bunks. The RXP will probably go to moon if the bunks are even touching the water. RXP Steve sprayed a whole can on his bunks. I wonder if his RXP went through the back of his tow vehicle yet

As for idle, mine is 1700-1900 always. Just throw it in reverse until you're going slow enough. You'll most likely have to learn how to straighten out the ski for the bunks while in reverse. That'll get you pretty slowed down.

Reverse lever is your friend. I never drive mine onto the trailer. Get the wrong guy doing it and it can cause a cracked bottom hull.
    (sounds nuts, seen it happen) ANYHOW, the liquid rollers works great. I back up the trailer to the point where I dont even have to get my feet wet, and push it off. And i just winch it back on.

+1
    1800 here also. Im used to it by now.

+1
    Yup, solid 1800... but I drive it on my double trailer all the time... no worries... just takes practice. The good part is that no wake zones don't suck as bad as they used to

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_GP1200R View Post
    Yup, solid 1800... but I drive it on my double trailer all the time... no worries... just takes practice. The good part is that no wake zones don't suck as bad as they used to
    We get yelled at all the time about the wake at idle because we live in a channel, but it's as slow as it'll go. You can pull the the reverse lever but then it's a little hard to control the direction of the ski and you're motoring along and near zero.

I just tell people it's a big surface drive jet and it's gonna make a little wake, it's not a outdrive that's 3 feet under water. If they start tp get smart, I just point to the "wake edition" sticker, but half the bluehairs on their 30 foot sailboats smoking their imitation cuban cigars don't seem to get that pun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information