Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

SC bearing failure

Well…..I’ll try to keep this short….I WAS starting a two week vacation at our cottage. Day one I launch my ski, let it run for a few minutes to warm up and proceed to do a few runs under GPS. First time I have been on calm water with the RE’s so I was curious. I do one run against heavy wind. Then turn around to do one more and tie the ski up at our dock. RPM’s were at 8100-8150 then all of the sudden they drop to 7200 and then the ski shuts off and will not start. It will not even turn over, so I get a tow back to the launch. Thankfully it happened in front of the boat launch.
    I suspect SC, as I replaced the washers about 10-15hrs ago. However when I pulled the SC that area was fine. All was intact, however on the exit that goes to the throttle body there is fine dust, as a result of the SC impeller wearing against the housing(first pic).
    After looking at the SC more, I can see how bad the impeller was rubbing against the housing (pic 2). The heat started to bubble the paint on the SC.
    What caused this, you ask. Those pieces in my hand (pic 3) are what is left of the outer bearing. Luckily nothing went through the motor, at least where the SC gear, etc reside in the motor. Not sure about the other end, via the throttle body. It also looks like the inner bearing was about to fail as well.
    So I have no idea what caused the bearing to fail. Maybe just a failed bearing and that is that. I was planning on installing the ceramic bearings but too little to late. Now I need an entire SC. Other then the steel washers, not much else is salvageable.
    I had replaced the ceramic washers about 15 hours ago and the rest of my mods are below. I do not know if this is just bad luck or something else.
    My concern now is what to check in regards to the intake. I have already taken apart the throttle body and cleaned the dust off, and will pull the IC today and clean it. I'll also have a look at the intake to see what surprises may lay there. What else should I check?

.....sorry for the long winded thread.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1885.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	30122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1895.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	30123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1896.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	30124  

+1
    sorry to hear that

How many hours on that SC?

The intercooler acts as a filter, you may find some debris caught in there.

One thing I forgot to mention is that this SC had roughly 70hrs on it. My ski has 95hrs but the SC was replaced by the dealer at 20hrs. I had complained of low RPM's and they replaced the SC. In the end the oil level was high.
    Anyways if your ski has high hours you may want to look at replacing the bearings sooner rather then later.

sorry to hear that dude, but that SC bearing must have been going for quite some time oil from the crankase and alum dust have coated the inside of the rubber hose pretty good
    I would inspect the intake and TB completely. depending on how long you`ve been sucking up alum dust will eventually lead to reduced compression or loss of oil control and ski will start to smoke and burn oil...
    I know someone this has happened to...PR...

did you re-use the old bearings when you installed the washers?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    sorry to hear that

How many hours on that SC?

The intercooler acts as a filter, you may find some debris caught in there.

I was really hoping this was the case.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

Andy, you don't have to mess with the bearings when installing the washers.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Andy, you don't have to mess with the bearings when installing the washers.
    Hi Jer, I know that, just assuming that most install new inards when going to new washers. when we did mine, I find it comforting that the whole deal is new aside from housing and wheel...know what I mean ...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    sorry to hear that dude, but that SC bearing must have been going for quite some time oil from the crankase and alum dust have coated the inside of the rubber hose pretty good
    I would inspect the intake and TB completely. depending on how long you`ve been sucking up alum dust will eventually lead to reduced compression or loss of oil control and ski will start to smoke and burn oil...
    I know someone this has happened to...PR...

ya I did not touch the bearings. Just made sure the spring washers, gear wheel etc.. were within tolerances. I did check out the bearings and they appeared to be fine...

To follow up on this I took off the TB, and intake manifold.
    Cleaned both thoroughly as there was a lot of aluminum dust. Did the same to the IC. The intake ports on the head seemed to have little or no dust but I gave them a cleaning anyways.
    -checked plugs and they were perfect. I had just replaced them prior to this happening.
    I drained some oil and then poured it through a coffee filter to see if I could see anything (metal particles, etc) but the oil was good. I did not have a strainer of any sort, hence the coffee filter . I changed the oil regardless along with the filter. There was no particles on the filter but figured I'd be on the safe side.
    Checked injectors and they looked fine.
    Installed replacement SC (from Stickem----thanks bro)
    Put everything else back together and it fired up on first try. Did a compression test and all three cylinders seem balanced. Now the last test is out to the lake. Crossing my fingers!

North, glad you got it back together! and good luck
    you`ll just have to watch for BLUE smoke and oil consumption later on down the road... Hope you caught it in time...PR...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information