Water leak at oil pump?????

I was out today breaking in a motor on my Genesis and noticed water leaking out of where the oil pump bolts onto the motor. I looked like it was coming out where the bolts hold the pump into place. I don't recall using a gasket in that spot but I do think it had an O-ring. One of those must be bad... or do i need to use teflon tape on the bolts that hold the pump in place???? any ideas?

+1
    Ratt
    There is a cooling plate on the front of the cover that the oil pump bolts to . It should be coming from there It has two hoses to it .Remove it and have a look at the inside for corrosion and you might find the problem .It may also just need resealing

Bernie

Thanks Bernie... hey, how important is this water jacket? can it be bypassed? Do all pwc's have a water jacket on the mag side?

+1
    Your genisis is injected am i right .The higher capacity charging system etc produces too much heat and polaris have put the cooing water through the cover to stop the windings on the ststor etc from failing as often as they used to ..May even be a hose clamp on the top fitting koose .It does need it so sort it out so it works

Cheers

Bernie

Got it... i checked the hose clamp on the top of the housing but not the bottome one. I will check that one out tonight, that will be the hard one to get too. THanks for your help Bernie.

Hey, I have been looking very closely to the pictures in my genesis service manual of the crank case. It looks as if the waterjacket on the mag side has nothing to do with the oil pump. it looks like the oil pump mounts to the mag case and the the water jacket almost goes around the pump covering the mag case. i am thinking it is possible that the water leak may be right at that spot under the pump by where it bolts in.

Can anyone verify that this is more likely than water leaking from under the oil pump itself?

+1
    The cover goes around it in a u shape on it side .The oil pump sits in the middle of the U .The oil pump doesn't go into the water jacket to get to the plastic drive on the crank
    Get a mirror and have a look you will see how it is done
    Bernie

well, i found and fixed the problem. while i was getting ready to pull off the water jacket so that i could put on some "form a gasket" i discovered two bolts missing off the jacket. two of the three that go around the oil pump area. so, i replaced those bolts and all is good.

funny how alot of the time it is the simplest of things that bring you out of the water.....

thank for your help.

+1

I just got back from 5 days at the water but about a month ago, I had a gasket go bad. Replaced the cover gasket, cleaned up the surfaces and all is good.

Thread Information