Thread: sucked up....

sucked up....

cruising around today and all of the sudden ski started to shudder. wouldnt go past like 7 mph. luckily was only like 3/8 ths of a mile from the launch site. just pulled it out of the water assuming i sucked up a weed. got home and looked up inside the intake grate and there is a small piece of plywood lodged in between the wear ring and the blade of the impeller. how do i get this out and is there any chance that the impeller is damaged? thanks,len.

Closed mouth no get fed,...... travelboysteve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blown 5.0 View Post
    cruising around today and all of the sudden ski started to shudder. wouldnt go past like 7 mph. luckily was only like 3/8 ths of a mile from the launch site. just pulled it out of the water assuming i sucked up a weed. got home and looked up inside the intake grate and there is a small piece of plywood lodged in between the wear ring and the blade of the impeller. how do i get this out and is there any chance that the impeller is damaged? thanks,len.
    Carefully,......if there is any wear around the wear ring or the prop is dented or dinged,......it's toast. Because it's wood, and there's no pics of it,.....just a guess,....but yes,......you may have a problem.

+1
    I have removed a few small pieces of cypress over the years with no problemos... rocks are a different story.

ok, but how to remove. from the front or back? drop the intake grate or come in from the back?

+1
    On the Yamaha, I was able to clear mine after removing the intake grate, wood came right out just grabbed it. Keep in mind that was a water-soaked cypress stick, not sure about plywood.
    Last edited by YoYamma; 07-04-2007 at 03:38 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blown 5.0 View Post
    ok, but how to remove. from the front or back? drop the intake grate or come in from the back?
    if you take the grate off then you'll probly get it out, we used to do this at the waters edge and still do so we dont loose riding time, then at home remove the pump, replace the wear ring if bad and recheck the prop pitch

I would pull the pump off for a couple of reasons.

1 being there is a good chance the inserts will pull out when you remove the intake grate.

2 probably going to be easier to pull out whatever you have stuck in there with out having to go through the pump tunnel.

3 with the pump off you can see the wear ring and prop, inspect for damage and replace if need be

Thread Information