Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 jeep cherokee xj shackles

I would like to know wich shackels would you jeep guys would recommend for lifting a bit my back suspension without doing the add a leaf route.

a 2000 jeep cherokee sport xj 4.0 liter (not the cj or yj) back suspension

my front is 31 1/2
    my back is 29 3/4 from the floor
    so i need to raise my leafs a bit in the back without adding a leaf spring (wich will also stiffen up the ride)
    any good buys on the internet for these and please guide me to it.

thank you

depends what you are mainly doing with your xj. If you're towing with it you're best off either getting an full length aal or new spring packs, as the stock packs tend to wear out after about 4yrs and your sag is just going to get worse and worse. To be honest the aal won't stiffen your ride up very much at all. I'd bet money you'd never even notice the difference. If you're absolutely set on shackles just get a standard lift set off of ebay, you dont need the fancy revolver style. You can also contact PORC out of Georgia or Rustysoffroad.com for a set of lift shackles. Blocks would also be an option and are probably a tad easier to install, since you just need to lower the axle instead of disconnecting the spring packs.

You should hit up Naxja.org for all the info you'll ever need on your XJ. I'm on my 5th XJ(currently have 2) so if you ever have any questions hit me up here or on there (Tampa_XJ).

Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive View Post
    depends what you are mainly doing with your xj. If you're towing with it you're best off either getting an full length aal or new spring packs, as the stock packs tend to wear out after about 4yrs and your sag is just going to get worse and worse. To be honest the aal won't stiffen your ride up very much at all. I'd bet money you'd never even notice the difference. If you're absolutely set on shackles just get a standard lift set off of ebay, you dont need the fancy revolver style. You can also contact PORC out of Georgia or Rustysoffroad.com for a set of lift shackles. Blocks would also be an option and are probably a tad easier to install, since you just need to lower the axle instead of disconnecting the spring packs.

You should hit up Naxja.org for all the info you'll ever need on your XJ. I'm on my 5th XJ(currently have 2) so if you ever have any questions hit me up here or on there (Tampa_XJ).
    well the only thing i tow is my sea doo but about twice a year i carry camping gear also including the sea doo i have a authorized mechanic who works on my jeep as my best friend owns a chrysler dealership so he does work for me after hours .
    he told me the add a leaf will stiffen it a bit the ride so he really dosen't want to take a decission for me wich route to go.
    thats the same site he goes to rustyoffroad he showed it to me today at the dealer.
    the only thing i know is the shackle is easy to install and costs around $50
    the add a leaf not so expensive but more work.

please if you have any other comments it is always apreciated its my first jeep i always had cars.
    wow 2 xj you sure like your jeeps

Jug Inspector
    Screw it, do a spring-over!

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

But seriously I'd go to NAXJA, they're great over there.

MORE makes some really heavy duty stuff.

Bryan

well like you said in the end its what you want... but having had xjs with both aals and shackles, I was ultimately happier with the aals. Ride quality wasn't noticably different and it kept the xj sagging at bay for a little while longer... With the shackles you'll still get droop when you load up the rear since you aren't doing anything to support the springs, all you're doing is raising the initial height. With the AALs you're actually "reinforcing" under load as well and raising the initial height. Translation - with AALs you'll be able to carry a little more load in the rear without the amount of sag you'd see with shackles.

But all aside, either method will level out your ride.

Ibreakstuff - I'm a little confused XJs are spring over from the factory???

well like you said in the end its what you want... but having had xjs with both aals and shackles, I was ultimately happier with the aals. Ride quality wasn't noticably different and it kept the xj sagging at bay for a little while longer... With the shackles you'll still get droop when you load up the rear since you aren't doing anything to support the springs, all you're doing is raising the initial height. With the AALs you're actually "reinforcing" under load as well and raising the initial height. Translation - with AALs you'll be able to carry a little more load in the rear without the amount of sag you'd see with shackles.

But all aside, either method will level out your ride.

Ibreakstuff - I'm a little confused XJs are spring over from the factory???
    the more you post the more i want to go with the add a leaf route since you say it will not stiffen up my ride too much.
    so if my height in the front is 31 1/2,and the back 29 3/4 do i need to add only one AAL or there are different heights i know i can call a suspension shop around here but i rather hear it from someone who knows
    and i guess after owning 5 xj im sure you know quit a bit

I apreciate the time you are taking for responding

hehe I love talking about jeeps...so no problem at all taking the time...

AALs generally come in different lift heights...anywhere from 1" to 3.5". You will only use 1 per side, so a set is all you need. Hehe unfortunately I've never come across a 1.75" aal so you may have to choose between having the rear end a tad higher or lower. for towing and load purposes I'd probably choose to have it a tad higher unloaded. Make sure you get full lengths as the half lengths ARE a very stiff spring and will change the ride quality. Full lengths use the mechanical advantage of a longer shank to spread the stiffness over a greater distance and thus not affect ride quality nearly as much. You shouldn't need new u-bolts, but your mechanic friend will probably have to fashion a new centering pin and if the aals don't come with new pack wraps you'll want to pick some up(usually a few bucks for a set all they are are metal straps to hold the packs together). If hes a good mechanic he'll know he can do this out of a regular old nut and bolt for the centering pin. just grind down the hex end round to fit in the spring perch and then bolt the packs together...make sure he puts the aals in sequence from longest to shortest, I've seen more than one jeep tech just try to throw it at the bottom of the pack.

I want to add a disclaimer though. I just talked with 4 of my jeep friends and they all agree that the AALs shouldn't make a noticable difference in ride quality. However, I should note that I drive jeeps and race cars hehe so my opinions on soft and hard are a tad difference from say someone who drives a luxury suv with coil springs.

On that note if you happen to have a truck( semi/dump) repair shop or a spring shop in town you can have them rearch your springs back to stock height for around $100 for both sides.
    Last edited by jahkneefive; 07-06-2007 at 12:47 PM.

so a 2'' would be the right one to order? a tad bit higher
    its mt front suspesion that is raised by a added thing that you usually get with the shank

i hear what you say get the full lenght aal not the short one
    if i give you the site wich is here in canada would you be able to tell me wich one to order or jeffryoffroad

here is the site www.sdlsuspension.com

well i guess im doing the add a leaf route, thats it, im convinced

thank you

well that site seems to only offer full suspension packages. From what I understood you just want the rear AALs correct?

This is the leafs you want(you'd need to add the retainers and centering pin):
    http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=LEAF

This is everything you need, but I'm not sure if its the long or short, you would need to email the seller:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-01...spagenameZWDVW
    Last edited by jahkneefive; 07-06-2007 at 02:15 PM.

well that site seems to only offer full suspension packages. From what I understood you just want the rear AALs correct?

This is the leafs you want(you'd need to add the retainers and centering pin):
    http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=LEAF

This is everything you need, but I'm not sure if its the long or short, you would need to email the seller:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-01...spagenameZWDVW
    yes just the rear aals the one from rustys wich one is it for the 2'' lift that i need there are 4 of them?

the one from e-bay dosent seem any cheaper as he is askink 75$

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information