Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mods to water manifold?

I was told by a mech to leave out the thermostat and to drill the water manifold holes larger (the one on top of the heads). Has anyone heard of doing this to improve cooling.

+1
    Crashem (by name or nature? )

What model ski are you thinking of?
    I have had three up on my hire ski's Virage I's + txI ,100 degree days and not had over heat problems .If your lines are good and not swollen from oil /fuel and other nasty stuff that gets in the hulls ,Your filter is clear on certain ski's you should't need for any cooling mods .Have had thermostats removed but leave restrictor in its place .How warm is your water you ride in ?If the ski is always used and you water isn't super cold then you could do as I have and take the centre out of the thermostat .It was mainly because I ride in salt water and thermostats and salt water aren't totaly happy all the time .If it concerns you I would put a pisser on it so you can see its got water being pumped through it and if you have a need for more cooling then there have been a few posts put up that may help you out .Generally the Virage are quite good

Cheers

Bernie

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Eliminate the thermostat unless you ride in cold water. No need to drill cooling bars.

I live in Houston and the lake is shallow and warm, it is fresh water. I HAD no heat problems that I know of(had the ski for 1 month; currently putting a rebuilt engine in it because the front rod bearings came apart. It had a lot of hours on it.
    The ski is a 97 700 slt. I guess a pisser is tap off of the water system that shoots a stream of water outside the craft? If so were can I git one?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89
    Eliminate the thermostat unless you ride in cold water. No need to drill cooling bars.
    How cold? Not sure if I'll be ridding in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by crashem View Post
    I live in Houston and the lake is shallow and warm, it is fresh water. I HAD no heat problems that I know of(had the ski for 1 month; currently putting a rebuilt engine in it because the front rod bearings came apart. It had a lot of hours on it.
    The ski is a 97 700 slt. I guess a pisser is tap off of the water system that shoots a stream of water outside the craft? If so were can I git one?
    I am also interested in doing the pisser mod. What are the pros and cons? Is there a link to some install info?

Thanks
    Last edited by rickreeves1; 07-05-2007 at 01:59 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickreeves1 View Post
    How cold? Not sure if I'll be ridding in the winter.

I am also interested in doing the pisser mod. What are the pros and cons? Is there a link to some install info?

Thanks
    I'd say COLD water, maybe 50ish? (just a guess) Do a search for pisser. I posted everything you need to get and how to do it. Pretty simple, easy to see if you have a cooling system failure, can moderate each cyl. temp individually, and it looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I'd say COLD water, maybe 50ish? (just a guess) Do a search for pisser. I posted everything you need to get and how to do it. Pretty simple, easy to see if you have a cooling system failure, can moderate each cyl. temp individually, and it looks cool.
    Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info.

+1
    I have removed the thermostat on all my watercraft and I ride on Lake Superior at least once a year...top summer water temp. 41 degrees but usually its around 38...and not a single problem yet in over five years of riding there. I wouldn't worry about it until you are at least under 50 degrees.

+1
    WOW!! You're a die hard rider.

+1
    I will say you don't want to get to wet there...if you get splashed in the face it does take your breath away, literally!! A must full wetsuit ride even when the air temp is in the 80's...then it feels perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information