Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Question Should we go premix or leave the oil pump alone?

OK, this has been an ongoing issue locally here in Miami betwen friends, mechanics, some who think are mechanics, others who abide by what they heard that he said, she said, etc....
    EVERY ski that I've owned 'till this date I've either bought it premix or switched to premix. However, this '01 XLT1200 that I bought last year in October is in such great shape that I really thought hard about going premix on it. It curerntly has about 170 hrs on it & I have no complaints. I got some suggestions last year when I purchased it & ppl told me not to do it simply because the mixing ratio is controled electronically & at low rpm's the engine is mixing very little gas & oil compared at higher rpm's when it mixes more. When I premix, I don't give the waverunner the option of mixing less at low rpm's & more at higher rpm's. It's just drinking up the premixed fuel I poured in there. I was explained that it causes problems in the long run & that these 1200cc engines have VERY reliable oil pumps. Now my friend Danny just purchased an 02 XLT with 167 hours & he's desperate to go premix. Infact he is so desperate, he is scared of riding it as it is right now. The ski is spotless & in superb conditions. Looks better than mine by a long shot. I told him to trust the pump. He remains uncertain, which ofcourse raises concern in my head too. I prefer to continue with the pump... Do u?

I think the problem is actually with the oil line(s) coming off. But I'm not positive.

+1
    i am not pre mix yet but just about to...

why chance lines comming off or oil pump failing and the lump being trashed for the sake of $20 block off kit and a little time to get mix right before you ride....

just my 2 cents as you say ..

paul...

African-American
    +1
    I might be wrong..

When you convert to premic, you gain 5-10 hp.

+1
    Going premix got its popularity during the earlier Yamaha years, early to mid 90's when the oil pumps had NO variable ratio. If you actually measured the oil used to the gas used, some of the raiders and ventures used like 25 to 30-1 overall. They were ok at full throttle, but heavy at lower speeds, which meant lots of oil used and lots of smoke/fouled plugs in idle zones. However, since late 90's (GP's and later, Xll's and XLT's, Yamaha has had Variable Ratio oil pumps, and they have been reliable. Thats not to say some haven't had oil lines come off and ect, but overall reliable. Some feel though, that with the expense of many engine mods and such, plus the need for a bit more oil on modified engines, that its worth the extra trouble to go premix and not take any chances. I put over 350 hrs on my 98 GP, and am at 179 hrs on my 01 GPR 1390, and I use the oil pumps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    I might be wrong..

When you convert to premic, you gain 5-10 hp.
    I never heard that one

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    As far as I'm concerned the current oil pumps are nearly 100% reliable when left alone. The reason for switching to pre-mix is the more you remove the carbs or flywheel cover the more likely you are to have an oil line come off or cause a problem with the pump because of something you've done.

+1
    but if you pre mix what possibly can go wrong other than a fouled plug or on the flip side if you pump goes or line falls off then its a slight more than fouled plug ect..
    not stating chit just throwing my thoughts in the mix,i might be wrong i dont know...

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Thumbs up

Well, as I did before, I see the mixed opinions however what "LT1GMC" said is the answer I got alot last year when I purchased the XLT. Especially here locally in Miami, FL. Also remember, we don't even winterize our waverunners down here. They're used year-round. I know up North u guys have to do all that winterizing to them to prevent freezing. All these rubber hoses suffer ALOT with those extreme temerature changes especially when the thermometer dips that low! . I just wish I could see the conditions it's in without tearing apart the exhaust. I see the conditions of my entire waverunner, hull, interior, engine & all. My ski doesn't even smell like gas. When I bought it, it still smelled like that new fiberglass smell & it was suuuuper clean. Ofcourse even though I'm anal about my TLC towards my waverunner, I have done upgrades to it that have ruined that like new smell. Especially that "Sinking feeling" that everyone on this forum knows about. I think I'll take my chances this summer & reach my 200 hours. Once I get over that big 200 then I'll truely consider the premix! Thanks guys! Once again, u guys come through. Anymore input is welcome.

+1
    It's all about peace of mind. If you premix, you get to run the exact oil ratio that you want, and there are no worries about the pump/lines/cable causing a meltdown. It's not necessary, but it's worth it to me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information