Best race fuel for 250X

All, what race fuel have any of you had success with and you recommend for the ULTRA 250?

Application is endurange racing which involves WOT for for a full tank - range is an issue so mileage is key. Appreciate your feedback.

I use BP Ultimate 100oct.I live in Greece,not sure if you can find that in USA.
    Check the link
    http://www.bp.com/modularhome.do?categoryId=6620

Using any thing over the recomended fuel will do nothing for you. Unless your running a pulley or something that is pushing you to deto..

In fact running higher octane would be wasting your money. Higher oct. will burn slower so infact your not burning all the fuel and wasting it. No speed or acceleration will be noticed with race gas.

My personal test results have shown that no speed loss or gain at 100oct . 105oct showed a 1mph decrease and 3 mph with 110oct.
    Last edited by Skips313; 07-05-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Using any thing over the recomended fuel will do nothing for you. Unless your running a pulley or something that is pushing you to deto..

In fact running higher octane would be wasting your money. Higher oct. will burn slower so infact your not burning all the fuel and wasting it. No speed or acceleration will be noticed with race gas.

My personal test results have shown that no speed loss or gain at 100oct . 105oct showed a 1mph decrease and 3 mph with 110oct.

You are right.I use this 100oct and i have the same rpm as with normal fuel.No gain at all.
    On the other hand i cant resist to put the best inside my baby.Except high octane it contains some additives that clean the valves and the rest of the fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by GODOSIDIS View Post
    You are right.I use this 100oct and i have the same rpm as with normal fuel.No gain at all.
    On the other hand i cant resist to put the best inside my baby.Except high octane it contains some additives that clean the valves and the rest of the fuel system.
    Vary good point. The race fuels do burn clean and it will keep those valves clean as a whistle. So clean it makes it hard to do plug reads...lol

Other point is the blow by. Careful to maintain good oil changes as the blow by will be of a higher octane and degrade the oil quicker. Still if your pushing her hard the the 100 octane is good. For the rec rider its more of a waste of money. Especially when 100 oct is averaging 5.90 a gallon and 9.50 a gallon for the 110 oct

Skip, please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't lead act as a lubricant on the valves? That's one reason I asked on another forum if running 100LL (low lead) would hurt the engine. (Even though it's called low lead, it's got more lead in it than the old regular (leaded) car gas. I've been running a mix of 5 gallons 100LL to 15 of 93 octane. Don't know if this would give a performance increase, but I thought that at least it would help out the valves. (Granted, there's probably a tighter clearance on these engines versus the air cooled engines I work on with aircraft.)
    If there is any increase of performance, and anyone in the area would like to try it out I can get 100LL for free where I work! Normally costs around $5.00 - $6.00 per gallon.

Thanks,

Tom

+1
    Tom,
    the Ultra was designed for zero lead at 91oct.

The 100LL is designed for high-altitude engines with an actual pump rating of about 95. I bet it won't hurt anything.... other than the extra blowby Skips mentioned on unburned fuel is a REAL concern on any boosted engine.

Skip, please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't lead act as a lubricant on the valves? That's one reason I asked on another forum if running 100LL (low lead) would hurt the engine. (Even though it's called low lead, it's got more lead in it than the old regular (leaded) car gas. I've been running a mix of 5 gallons 100LL to 15 of 93 octane. Don't know if this would give a performance increase, but I thought that at least it would help out the valves. (Granted, there's probably a tighter clearance on these engines versus the air cooled engines I work on with aircraft.)
    If there is any increase of performance, and anyone in the area would like to try it out I can get 100LL for free where I work! Normally costs around $5.00 - $6.00 per gallon.

Thanks,

Tom

VP has a non-leaded race fuel line. Thats what we use since the IJSBA and APBA reqiure non-leaded fuels.
    Still do your kids and friends a favor and do not put lead into the lakes you ride in. Funny stuff happens when you start dumping lead into the water.

As for the concern of lead protecting the valves? True but you can achieve just as good of protection with good oil. With oil technology today it blows away the ways of the past.

Thread Information