Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Triples on a XLT1200 for recreational use?

Hello everybody.

I'm from Portugal, a little country in Europe, and I ride a mint condition 2001 XLT1200, 68hours on it. I am super happy with it, the engine is like new, completely stock.

I've decided to soup up a bit this machine, since the original 155hp aren't enough for me... But I want all the upgrades to be absolutely undoable, meaning, when I sell this boat, I want to put it completely stock.

So, keeping this in mind, i was thinking about the triple pipes... I can find a complete set, almost new, with CDI, for something like 1100 dollars.

I ride at seal level, only in rivers, no big waves, although I like to do a little jumping behind boats. When I go crazy doing donughts on it, after 5 minuts I always ride at half gas for a bit to cool down the engine, I take a lot of care to keep it in mint conditions...

After a little search on the forum, i coulnd't find the answer to my question:

Is a triple piped engine, with minor mods (jetting, filter and CDI), reliable for recreational use (NOT abuse)?

If so, what would be the jetting changes necessary to the carburater?

Thank you very much

Last edited by Brera Hifi; 07-05-2007 at 03:44 AM.

I would go to a 1300 Single piper before I go triples, for reliability and overall recreatioanl use. If you decide to go with the triples as a 1200

The jetting would be

110 Pilots
    140 Mains
    1.5 n/s
    95 gram spring
    Disable the accelerator pump
    Flame arrestors and no choke plates.
    a Concord 13/19 Setback Prop will give you awesome acceleration.

You would need to get an advent ignition or get yours modified by Pro-Tec to be able to reach the 7850-7930 RPM goal.

+1
    I'm with Fercho, tripples aren't really for all around recreational use. If you want a lot of horsepower but to be able put it back to bone stock when you sell it, I'd find a ported top end for sale so when want to switch it back you can put the old top end back on it, then sell the ported top end off. If you go tripples, you will have to do a lot of mods that aren't all that reversible (welded crank, several more water pissers, stuff like that).

But you will be amazed at what you can do without having to go tripples or replace the top end. Buy a ride plate from Jim or Island racing, a new intake grate, an aftermarket head, a new prop, do some rejetting on the carbs, and some V-force reeds, and you will be riding a completely different beast without sacrificing one bit of reliability, and it's all reversible. Read up on it through the link below. If shipping over there is a big issue, contact Carl at Island Racing, he has kits for the XLT and it could all be shipped in one shipment.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ght=xll%2Fxlts
    Last edited by Smitty; 07-05-2007 at 04:45 AM.

triple piped xlt

I agree with the others. Not so much for rec riding, but it is surely fun. Need4power has a triple piped xlt. His pump tunnel just blew out/ cracked up for the extreme pressure. So re-inforcement is a must. I Had my xlt tripled for about 6hrs and then I took them off. Very fast, but very loud. I went from 69.8 mph to 76.6 , by just bolting them on. I would stay with a single pipe if you have the chance. Also, you would would need to put a light weight flywheel on to reduce the stress on the nose of your crank. If your dead set on it I have one for sale with 6hours on it. Still in the box. Let us know what you end up doing. Just so you know I have my xlt over 70 with a single pipe. Also , check out jims1300 on the tuners page. He love xlt's and have a great high speed ride plate mod!

+1
    Where in Northern Virginia are you from Dirty Sanchez?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Brera Hifi View Post
    Hello everybody.

I'm from Portugal, a little country in Europe, and I ride a mint condition 2001 XLT1200, 68hours on it. I am super happy with it, the engine is like new, completely stock.

I've decided to soup up a bit this machine, since the original 155hp aren't enough for me... But I want all the upgrades to be absolutely undoable, meaning, when I sell this boat, I want to put it completely stock.

So, keeping this in mind, i was thinking about the triple pipes... I can find a complete set, almost new, with CDI, for something like 1100 dollars.

I ride at seal level, only in rivers, no big waves, although I like to do a little jumping behind boats. When I go crazy doing donughts on it, after 5 minuts I always ride at half gas for a bit to cool down the engine, I take a lot of care to keep it in mint conditions...

After a little search on the forum, i coulnd't find the answer to my question:

Is a triple piped engine, with minor mods (jetting, filter and CDI), reliable for recreational use (NOT abuse)?

If so, what would be the jetting changes necessary to the carburater?

Thank you very much
    Ola, tudo bem?
    Recreational Triple pipe XLT....that was my goal in setting up my ski, and i would say I achieved it. So far (knock on wood), I have about 130 hours with this setup. If you are going this route, please reinforce the pump tunnel. Also, pipes tend to leak (thank God for the lifetime warranty on the pipes). But if you are going to put these pipes in, you will need to make a couple of small mods to the ski (grind the engine mount and a little bit of the hull). I WILL NEVER GO BACK, I LOVE THE FEELING OF THESE PIPES! AND NOT TO MENTION THE ACCESS TO THE CARBS!

VIVA PORTUGAL!

Johns boat is full proof that a triple piper can be ridden as a full rec ski if everything is set up for rec riding....200+ hours on that crank!!

Quote Originally Posted by HopatcongGPR View Post
    200+ hours on that crank!!

Putting her back in the water Saturday! I fiberglassed the pump tunnel (on the inside) and MarineTex'd the pump tunnel (grinded the cracks and filled in with marine tex). We'll see what happens! Also added a few more mods:

* Jim's FF Plate (instead of the skeg removal plate I had)
    * My modified XLL Pump Shoe
    Last edited by need4pwr; 07-06-2007 at 10:36 AM.

CARLRRE --- where in VA are you? I'm in Manassas.

Talking

Don't worry if you make it a triple pipe you wont want to ever put it back to stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information