Stage I install and results

Okay,

My other thread was a rant about the Riva Stage I kit. I still submit to you that the fitment and engineering on the Riva kit was shoddy. The one piece filter tube not only didn't line up correctly, it was a royal PITA to install (the directions calling for you to "hit" it in order to install it.......that's right up there with duct tape and WD-40).

Anyway, the bracket that came to stabilize the intake end of the tube was fixed mounted and the tube anchored to that bracket. In order to do that, the final turn into the supercharger doesn't line up really well. I realize that there's a silicone sleev that seals that connection, but it just seemed like a poor fitment. The kit should have simply had a two piece tube with a second silicone sleeve. That would have increased the cost of the kit by maybe a few bucks.

Then, the kit calls for re-use of the stock clamps, most of which are not sized properly and one of which BARELY fit (the bit on the clamp tongs is marginal at best), they could have sprung for new clamps, a whopping $.65 a piece. They included split tubing for the electrical wiring but not a new clamp. Doesn't make sense to me.

The filter took 5 times more effort to install than the intake grate or the prop.

I have yet to get the OPAS competition kit installed. (I'm scratching my head about how I'm supposed to hold the OPAS rudder up, and spread the opening to the insert enough to get it over the shaft).

Anyway, so after bolting everything up and getting silicone virtually everywhere (that part was my fault ) I took the ski out first thing the morning of the 4th just to ensure that I wouldn't get stranded later that day.

There was a noticeable difference in performance (mid range especially) and my top end clocked 70 on the speedometer. This was in smooth water on a river.

Later that day, I ferried some friends to the local party spot on the water and with 3 large men and the front container filled with about 50lbs of ice and beer, the ski did 60 on the speedo. Not bad for 650 lbs worth of load

Later that day we tooled around in the bay tubing and what not. At the end of the day, I took the ski for a screamer and could only get it up to 65 on the speedo. Not sure if it was because I lost some fitment on the brand new wear ring or the water being slightly rougher or a combination of the two. I'll have to get a GPS and verify.
    Last edited by Fatty; 07-05-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    Okay,

My other thread was a rant about the Riva Stage I kit. I still submit to you that the fitment and engineering on the Riva kit was shoddy. The one piece filter tube not only didn't line up correctly, it was a royal PITA to install (the directions calling for you to "hit" it in order to install it.......that's right up there with duct tape and WD-40).

Anyway, the bracket that came to stabilize the intake end of the tube was fixed mounted and the tube anchored to that bracket. In order to do that, the final turn into the supercharger doesn't line up really well. I realize that there's a silicone sleev that seals that connection, but it just seemed like a poor fitment. The kit should have simply had a two piece tube with a second silicone sleeve. That would have increased the cost of the kit by maybe a few bucks.

Then, the kit calls for re-use of the stock clamps, most of which are not sized properly and one of which BARELY fit (the bit on the clamp tongs is marginal at best), they could have sprung for new clamps, a whopping $.65 a piece. They included split tubing for the electrical wiring but not a new clamp. Doesn't make sense to me.

The filter took 5 times more effort to install than the intake grate or the prop.

I have yet to get the OPAS competition kit installed. (I'm scratching my head about how I'm supposed to hold the OPAS rudder up, and spread the opening to the insert enough to get it over the shaft).
    are you talking about the plastic tubes that hold up the paddles? then just place the plastic tubes in hot water for a little while and spead one end open with your fingers and pop them in!...

Anyway, so after bolting everything up and getting silicone virtually everywhere (that part was my fault ) I took the ski out first thing the morning of the 4th just to ensure that I wouldn't get stranded later that day.

There was a noticeable difference in performance (mid range especially) and my top end clocked 70 on the speedometer. This was in smooth water on a river.

Later that day, I ferried some friends to the local party spot on the water and with 3 large men and the front container filled with about 50lbs of ice and beer, the ski did 60 on the speedo. Not bad for 650 lbs worth of load

Later that day we tooled around in the bay tubing and what not. At the end of the day, I took the ski for a screamer and could only get it up to 65 on the speedo. Not sure if it was because I lost some fitment on the brand new wear ring or the water being slightly rougher or a combination of the two. I'll have to get a GPS and verify.
    ...PR...

Thanks, I'll try that.

On another note, took the ski back out and on smooth water she ran 70 on the speedo.

What are everyone's opinion on the speedo reading vs. gps or radar gun?

+1
    In most cases the Speedo will NOT read above 69 or 70. Even when it does it is not accurate. Some say the speedo is within 1 or 2 mph up until 60 mph. Mine is off quite a bit. GPS and Radar are dependable and the speedo sucks.

The speedometer is way off. Get a GPS and dont get dissapointed.

I have noticed that my speedo on my RXP is about 3mph fast compared to my GPS (hard to tell for sure since it jumps around a bit). My speedo stops at 69mph. I would say there is no way to tell your exact top speed without a GPS or radar

Thread Information