92 Waverunner III 650, engine swaps?

Hello everyone,

I have a 1992 Yamaha Waverunning III 650 that sustained some mild hurricane Katrina damage. I am fairly confident the vessel went compleltely under water during the storm. Its up at my Dad's, about 45 minutes from where I live.

I want to get it running again, so I can enjoy a season of learning anything I need to learn about owning a jetski before I spend money on getting a brand new one.

Now, I am pretty sure the engine is going to be pretty fawked, due to it going underwater. I've been on ebay, searching for a 650 engine to drop in, but they are hard to come by it seems.

My question is, what all size engines can fit in this thing? Can I put a 700 in it? What engine codes/types are compatible with very little modifications that I can drop in; if there are any.

701 fits that hull too... both the 650 and the 701 are standup motors also .. try the h20 forum as there are alot of guys there with these twin yami motors (packrats just like me) pull the motor down and see whats up with it .. parts are pretty available on e bay for this engine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    701 fits that hull too... both the 650 and the 701 are standup motors also .. try the h20 forum as there are alot of guys there with these twin yami motors (packrats just like me) pull the motor down and see whats up with it .. parts are pretty available on e bay for this engine!!!
    A complete engine rebuild, from carb to exhaust. What kind of costs am I looking at? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars getting this jetski running, when I can spend a few thousand dollars and get a 03/04 Ski in near perfect condition.

you will not get a drop in ...just a long block (w/o starter carbs exhaust ect ect)... try sbt if you want to risk em' i think theirs is 1200 w/o a core + delivery.. there are other rebuilders out there... I think group k does em too...I'd pull it out and down and see just whats up.. you have nothing to lose and will gain knowlage on your ski ...let us know whats up and we'll help you along the way..

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    you will not get a drop in ...just a long block (w/o starter carbs exhaust ect ect)... try sbt if you want to risk em' i think theirs is 1200 w/o a core + delivery.. there are other rebuilders out there... I think group k does em too...I'd pull it out and down and see just whats up.. you have nothing to lose and will gain knowlage on your ski ...let us know whats up and we'll help you along the way..
    Sounds like a plan then.

Thread Information