Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1

Engine surging at idle, possible causes?

Yesterday i went out with a friend and his 250X was surging or better yet bogging down at idle. He doesn't get on here much so i figured i would try to help in order to have a riding buddy for the weekend. He said when he started it he got a low voltage warning. When he gave it gas it would run fine but when he went back to idle it would bog down and then surge back to normal idle. Any body have any ideas? I don't think it would be the spark plugs since giving it throttle should only make that worse. Maybe the low battery?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    The low battery buzzer on the 250 is a Kawasaki thing, every Kawi I have owned does it a some time or another, I think their warning buzzer is a lil to sensitve to voltage drop,Id check the plugs.

+1

Delay hitting Start button

When you push the immobilizer in the glove box and then
    immediately hit Start you get the low battery warning buzzer.
    Wait a few seconds, say 5 or so and you shouldn't get the
    buzzer.

As far as bogging down, maybe check those famous exhaust
    hoses, maybe they're loose.

We are definitely seeing issues with the original set of spark plugs
    being defective. Seems to be happening at random, no pattern
    of usage. Switch those too for a possible fix.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    The low battery buzzer on the 250 is a Kawasaki thing, every Kawi I have owned does it a some time or another, I think their warning buzzer is a lil to sensitve to voltage drop,Id check the plugs.
    Yeah i sometimes see this on my RXT but it's never amounted to anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    When you push the immobilizer in the glove box and then
    immediately hit Start you get the low battery warning buzzer.
    Wait a few seconds, say 5 or so and you shouldn't get the
    buzzer.

As far as bogging down, maybe check those famous exhaust hoses, maybe they're loose.

We are definitely seeing issues with the original set of spark plugs
    being defective. Seems to be happening at random, no pattern
    of usage. Switch those too for a possible fix.
    Well, his exhaust had already come off on his second time out and we went ahead and went out anyway with no touble from that so thats not the issue. I thought at first maybe the spark plugs were the problem but it's always been my experience that giving it hrottle would make the problem or misfire more apparent.

I'm thinking it could be an idle air control valve in the throttle body but thats more of a stretch since i don't know of anyone thats had a problem with that before. The symptoms are charactaristic of an IAC problem though. Not raggin on the 250X but it burns me up to see my friend so dissapointed with his new purchase and us having to head for shore when we're having fun. I'm just trying to learn more so i can help him out.

Sounds as if it could be the spark. Week spark will show more at lower RPM's.

Regardless take it to the dealer and have them find and fix the problem this should not be your or his problem.

Wink

Sounds like the low speed/RPM steering activation to me.

Go with the plugs

I would go with the plugs I had the same problem then got worse took it to the dealer and they replaced the plugs ...Runs great again...Jim
    But I do have a problem with my starter just freewheeling from time to time no rhyem or reason, the dealer wants to replace the starter after the season but wondered if anyone has the same problem or not...Thanks

Sounds like what was wrong with mine probably early stages of plugs. Mine cleared up for last couple rides before they failed, then next weekend barely made it from the dock

+1
    Thanks guys i recommaneded that he change the plugs anyway just maybe now he should do it more sooner than later. I doubt he wants to take it to the dealer since they drag ass like no one's business.

i have had the same issues with long idles, when i launch at the harbor to go into the ocean it is like a 7 minute idle before i get to use any throttle. when i first open it up it wont hit full throttle and bogs a little if i stay on it within a minute or so it opens up and i get 7750-7780 no problem. dont know tech reason for this but it has happened more than once.
    'good luck
    with the other replies it looks like i will get some spare plugs just to have with
    good luck

Thread Information