STX 15 f oil light advice needed

I have an 06 stx 15 f with the Riva free flow kit and Riva air filter. I was riding the other day and all was well. I had just had the 10 hour service done and the oil changed. About 30 minutes into the day the oil light came on. . I immediately pulled over and checked the oil level and it would not even register on the stick. I shut it down and could not get it to start again. I called back to the service department and he assured me he put four quarts of oil in. There is no oil in the bottom of the ski. I had it towed back to the marina and let it sit overnight. I came back the next day and checked the oil again and it was barely touching the bottom of the stick. I added 1/2 a quart and fired it up. Seemed to run fine no oil light but I did not run it that long. I am scratching my head because the tech said the oil sensor is so low in the ski there is no way that low oil could be the cause for the light coming on. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this could be. I am getting ready to do a long distance trip in the ocean and do not want any issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic View Post
    I am scratching my head because the tech said the oil sensor is so low in the ski there is no way that low oil could be the cause for the light coming on.
    The oil light is related to the oil pressure not level so I am not sure why its location would have any effect. The cause of the drop in pressure would be a failure of the lubrication system or in this case more likely insufficient oil. The fact you need to add oil indicates that it was due insufficient oil.

So where all that oil gone ? 3 choices, jetski is burning it, its leaking somewhere or the tech didn't put enough in.

Well I have 2 06 15f's. One is shop right now. At 11 hours oilP light came on. Took ski in and the chain that runs the oil pump failed. 3800 in parts alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Master View Post
    Well I have 2 06 15f's. One is shop right now. At 11 hours oilP light came on. Took ski in and the chain that runs the oil pump failed. 3800 in parts alone!
    damn, thats a new one to hear.

Mine is still under warranty...When the oil pressure light came on did you see a significant decrease in power. Did it stop running all together? What were the symptoms. Sorry to ask so many questions but thanks for your help.

mine is in the shop right now for oil pressure light on, there was oil in it I was running the ski for over an hour last weekend we stopped for a bit to bs I took off got about 40 mph and the ski just shut off the light came on fired it back up and limped it back to dock in rpm reduction havent heard anything back from the dealer yet

Still scratching my head. Let me know what your tech says. Thanks for posting.

Thread Information