Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steering adjustment after wedge installation

What is the correct procedure to determine if the steering is aligned straight.

I thought (and that was my problem) that I could tell by setting the handle bars straight and then reference where the center of the pump was in relation to the steering nozzle.

Well my eyes must be off because my ski tends to go right when the handle bars are straight.

Also, when I installed the pump wedge I didn't use the spacer for the steering linkage because when I had it on and all the way on the steering looked way off. With the spacer off the steering appeared to be more centered but after my test ride I think i need to put it in. However, I am worried that I will steer more to the left?

Any wisdom from the Guru's out there would be much appreciated. Please spread some wisdom to this young grasshopper!!

center the handlebars, place a long straight edge on the back of the steering nozzle and measure to the hull from it , adjust steering to get it equal measurements.

As per shibby...you can gain some extra "thread" by also adjusting the cable underneath the handle bars...go into the panel in the front storage bin.

I had to take out almost all the thread in back as well as almost all in front.

It worked though.

Quote Originally Posted by whit33 View Post
    What is the correct procedure to determine if the steering is aligned straight.

I thought (and that was my problem) that I could tell by setting the handle bars straight and then reference where the center of the pump was in relation to the steering nozzle.

Well my eyes must be off because my ski tends to go right when the handle bars are straight.

Also, when I installed the pump wedge I didn't use the spacer for the steering linkage because when I had it on and all the way on the steering looked way off. With the spacer off the steering appeared to be more centered but after my test ride I think i need to put it in. However, I am worried that I will steer more to the left?

Any wisdom from the Guru's out there would be much appreciated. Please spread some wisdom to this young grasshopper!!
    Ok here`s what you do assuming you installed the Riva wedge:::

1: install the steering cable extender into the steering cable end using red locktite and tighten securely. Then screw the jamb nut back onto the steering cable almost all the way in and screw the cable end on and just butt up against jamb nut. leave loose at this point...
    2: after you have done that, place a straight egde on the steering nozzle exit, with nozzle centered measure with tape measure from pump support (this is just below top 2 mounting bolt/nuts). to equal distances from the center of the nozzle to right and left ends of straight edge or thereabouts. move the nozzle in the direction to make the measurement equal from both ends of the straight edge.
    3: now go to front , handle bars. using center of hand grips, where the rubber cap/bolt holds the hand grips in place, pic a location on the hull mat footwell area on both sides as reference points to measure to center handle bars. measure up from determined point to center of grips on each side and record measurements. You want these right and left measurements to be equal.
    4: if steering is off and not centered, locate 2 6mm bolts that hold steering cable to steering head/bracket. loosen these 2 bolts just enough to turn BLACK plastic nut on steering cable. Determine which way you need to rotate this BLACK plastic nut to center wheel, frequently checking to see if steering nozzle is still centered at the pump housing/support.
    5: once this is accomplished you can either fine tune the steering adjustment with the steering cable end at the nozzle or simply lock the jamb nut against the steering cable end securely. (you might want to spin this back off and put some red loctite on the threads and re-install...

6: after steering is totally adjusted tighten all fasteners at the steering head cable bracket...check alignment again...

Here is a pic courtesy of carfanatic of the BLACK nut and 2 bolts that need to be loosened in order to rotate BLACK nut...

Hope this helps...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 07-06-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Yeah, you'll need to install the linkage and adjust the steering under the handlebars. I've found that it will tend to have a slight pul one way or the other. You'll find that shifting your weight will cause the ski to drift. Try to minimize the drift as much as possible.

Thanks for everyone's help!

This would make a good sticky in the "how to" section eh?

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    It's in the "how to" already. It's just not a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    It's in the "how to" already. It's just not a sticky.
    it`s carfanatics UMI steering thread in the "how to"...PR...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    it`s carfanatics UMI steering thread in the "how to"...PR...
    Actually I was refering to the one Shibby wrote. It was buried But I brought it to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Actually I was refering to the one Shibby wrote. It was buried But I brought it to the top.
    I think that was his old GTX maybe? but nonetheless good find!
    The picture I borowed is from Cars` thread...PR...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information