Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar

How I fixed my MFD

First off I want to stress that this is what I did to correct my MFD issue and by no way is the only or best way to go about this. Also this not a simple matter of removing some screws. If you do not have a steady hand, you are better off allowing one of the talented MFD repairmen do it for you.

That being said lets begin.......

Step 1
    Collect all the tools you will need.

Step 2
    Install the cutting wheel on the Dremel.

Step 3
    Using a small flat bladed screw driver carefully pry the bezel away from the base retaining tabs.

Step 4
    Using the Dremel cut just below the clear plastic screen while being careful to leave some of the black plastic lip for reassembly.

Step 5
    Use a flat piece of material like the back of a razor blade and carefully pry the two pieces apart. This is a time for finesse not strength. You may have to make several passes with the dremel before you can get the pieces apart just be sure to save some of the plastic lip.

Step 6
    Once you separate the two pieces disconnect the two wiring harnesses from the PCB. Also save the white packet of Silica Gel for reassembly.

Step 7
    To remove th PCB you must disconnect the two front buttons as shown and remove all four screws.

Step 8
    Using a Q-tip and a liberal amount of electrical component cleaner clean the contacts on the PCB as shown.

Step 9
    Reverse Step 7 and pay special attention to tightening the four screws securely while remembering that they are set in plastic and if stripped will ruin the display. I would imagine that the two screws above the PCB and LCD connector come loose and cause intermittent contact resulting in a garbled LCD screen.

Step 10
    Test out your MFD on you Ski. If it works great if not you should try to tighten the screws or send it out to the professionals. Also you may have to plug it in a few times as I had to.

Step 11
    If you did not save enough of the lip you can make a form for one out it Popsicle sticks and a paint stirrer as i have here.

Step 12
    Once you have tapped over everything you do not want Epoxy on use a Popsicle stick with a liberal amount of Epoxy to fill the void created by the dremel. Once the void has been filled use as clean stick to remove any access Epoxy.

Step 13
    Allow the MFD to sit and the Epoxy to dry. Sit the unit face down to allow gravity to keep the two pieces together.

Step 14
    After the Epoxy ad dried sand down the edge as need to allow the bezel to fit. Note the bezel may no longer stay in place and may need to be glued down with some kind of rubber cement. I would not use Epoxy or Super Glue as those products will make it impossible to remove the Bezel at a later date.

THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP:
    Clean up your mess and never let the wife know you used her kitchen counter as a work bench.

Enjoy
    Time: 2 hours
    Skill: Hobbyist
    Fun: Depend on you notion of fun

+1

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Xlint write up!!!! And great pics too. Thanks for the info.

Wow nice article! so easy a Caveman can do it! you just put Wetherby out of business

+1
    Excellent Article !

This would go good in the How-To section

Damn critics!

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    Wow nice article! so easy a Caveman can do it! you just put Wetherby out of business
    I did this to help you guys out not to mess with Wetherby. He has and continues to provide a great service to the PWC community.

Quote Originally Posted by wetherby View Post
    You left out a few steps. Your method will allow for failure by oxidation and/or electrolysis, and the bezel should snap back in place.

Nice effort though.
    Thank you for your input. I will have to think about what I missed and revise my writeup as required. I opened a Air/Water tight case and returned it to that state by using the Epoxy to seal it up. Also I left in the Silica gel to absorb any moisture that may occur. In addition I think the Bezel would stay on if the plastic lip had been left intact. If you would like to add to this write up I would be honored. I just wanted to allow people who could not afford the $100 an option to not drive around blindly in the water b/c their MFD crapped out. I have another unit to repair and I will try that one out after I think this through more throughly.

Thanks Again

Christian79
    Last edited by christian79; 07-07-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Banned User
    Last edited by wetherby; 07-17-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christian79 View Post
    I did this to help you guys out not to mess with Wetherby. He has and continues to provide a great service to the PWC community.Christian79
    No worries ! You did good! I was just funning with wetherby cause I know he can take it!

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by christian79 View Post
    I just wanted to allow people who could not afford the $100 an option to not drive around blindly in the water b/c their MFD crapped out.
    Don't forget,
    I only charge the GH regulars $75.
    That covers 1.5-2 hours labor by the time I put the return label on the box, materials, and return shipping via priority mal.

All proceeds go to the SLH 1200 project. My favorite charity
    Last edited by wetherby; 07-17-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information