900 Zxi speedo doesn't work

Just bought a "96 900 Zxi for cheap, now I can post in the Kawasaki forums too!!

The speedo doesn't work. Is there a common problem that I can check first?

TIA,
    Matt

There is a little wheel on the back (bottom) of the ski. Is it still there and will it turn?

The wheel is there and it spins. What's next? Check ohms at the speedo?

Buy a handheld GPS for $50 and velcro it to the dash. The Kawi speedos are only in the dash so there is no hole. They are not accurate..... ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LHPZXi1100 View Post
    Buy a handheld GPS for $50 and velcro it to the dash. The Kawi speedos are only in the dash so there is no hole. They are not accurate..... ever.
    LHP, welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

I am not sure if you noticed, but this thread is 6 months old. However, Most people want the speedo to work because its there. Why spend $50 if accuracy is not an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    There is a little wheel on the back (bottom) of the ski. Is it still there and will it turn?
    I know this threads a million years old but I figure it was worth a shot, I as well have a 900 zxi with a non functioning speedo, the sensor is their in the back but the wheel is not. The wheel is only 10 dollars at bikebandit. Just wanted to know if there was any way to test the actual sending unit/sensor just to make sure its the wheel and not something else.

The gauges all go through the CDI box under the console at the front of the seat on the right. If your other gauges work then most likely your speedo will to once the wheel is replaced. You have to replace the wheel anyways so it wouldn't be wasted money. So go ahead and do that and then go from there if it doesn't work.

Same issue (900 zxi speedo not working)

I just purchased this ski used with rebuilt engine last year. All seems to work well except the trim indicator does not work (nor, from what I can tell, does the trim motor - reads in down but is clearly in up).

Of course the speedometer does not work either. The fuel gage and oil gage do work. I checked the fuses and those look good. I'm wondering if there's a way to test the speedometer sensor (I have the little 4 tab wheel and it spins freely).

Any help on this would be much appreciated (btw, I gave $1,800 for the ski, a nice kneeboard, rope, a couple bouys and a few other misc items - seemed like a fair price given the Nashville market but would be interested if others have an opinion) - much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thread Information