Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i am loosing my mind with this sl900!

heres the deal, i have this 1996 sl900. i am a very experienced person with personal watercraft, polaris being the least of my knowledge. i have completed the ignition update with the new stator and cdi. bu, the problem is i have been geting intermittent spark or poor spark. i have been reading about the checking the grounds and all....the motor ground appears to be ok, it is hooked up right under the exhaust manifold. now one thisg i have noticed is that in the elec box, the red with white stripe wire is connected to the same terminal as the red w/purple. i believe this is the starter button hot. while i realize that wire should be connected to the red w/ white terminal, if i connect it there i have no starter power.
    now, one trip, the ski had very bad low end performance but ran out on top just ok, about 51 indicated and rpms in the low to mid 5's with one instance of dieing and no start, then all of a sudden everthing is ok agin . second trip, ran like crap down low,but actually revved all the way out to around 6200 rpm, then started cutting in and out . third trip, i drained the semi skunky gas and replaced with fresh, and took out carbs and cleaned them just to eliminate the possibilty. toook to water and fired on the the trailer and it sounded like a damn GP motorcyle! hit stop button, put it in the water, parked the truck and walked back down, and guess what? no startie! checked spark. no spark! WTF! do these stings have a stopper silenoid like a old 550 has that could stick and ground the coil? i am out of ideas. give me some help ph20. sorry for the long post, but i thought it was all relevant info.

hall effect sensors all check out! just verified that.

everything about the ignition coil checks out primary and secondary. stator resistances come to value. red/purple wire off cdi shows 12 volts. the black/yellow wire to black on the board DOES show a continuity reading of over 5000 ohms. it is the only thing i can find out of whack. this black and yellow wire is the tether/stop button. is this the cause of my spark issue? ph20 help me.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxr View Post
    everything about the ignition coil checks out primary and secondary. stator resistances come to value. red/purple wire off cdi shows 12 volts. the black/yellow wire to black on the board DOES show a continuity reading of over 5000 ohms. it is the only thing i can find out of whack. this black and yellow wire is the tether/stop button. is this the cause of my spark issue? ph20 help me.
    Call him

you got a number for him?

Banned User
    OK, I have a question.
    You said it started on the trailer, but not in the water. Is the battery 100% charged? New?

yes, battery is full charge and new.

+1
    moto, I just got back from a quick vacation.
    So it cranks but doesn't spark correct?
    We are going to assume the stator/CDI/Coil are wired correctly and operational for a moment.
    Sometimes it gets spark and other times not so you need to be looking for something taking down the CDI.
    So my question is have you verified the start/stop switch is functioning correctly during the non-starts??

+1
    Simple test, disconnect the black/yellow wire leading to the CDI and see if you get spark. Do this when the problem occurs of course. If you get spark it tells you the start/stop switch is shorting to ground.

yes i have tried that as well, should keep the kill switch from grounding for any reason at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information