Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Impeller Scraping Normal?

Is it normal for the impeller to scrape sometimes? I first noticed about a year ago that my wife's 2002 Virage impeller would scrub and once even locked up, after it had been sitting unused for the winter, as I was trying to start it dry. Is this normal? It has also happened to my 2001 Virage TXI, although not as bad. Now, sometimes, after only a couple of weeks of non-use, it is hard to turn over. It always seems to disappear, after we get in the water and run for a bit.

I'm thinking that it may be due to corrosion as we always ride in salt water here at the coast. Is it time to replace the pump extensions or is this normal? The pump extension is the part that the impeller turns in on the Virage, and not the housing, isn't it? i've never had the pumps off. Dang, I feel stupid having to ask this after three skis, but what the heck I want to know!

Thanks,
    Tom

+1
    Yes a little scraping is normal but it shouldn't bind it up like in the one case you mentioned. Yes sometimes the ware ring can warp or expand, especially when stored through the off season. If it's not to bad, you can just sand down the spots where it hits. But also make sure that the drive shaft splines and the stub shaft aren't warn as this would allow the impeller not to spin in a perfect circle and could be the cause of the scraping.

Thanks for the info. I guess it's time to pull the pump and see whats up.

If it is binding then it will need pump bearings and seals. Very common when it has some age on them.

OK, Thanks for the help. Looks like I've just bought another 2002 Virage with a bad engine, for parts! That should keep me going for a while.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Can you turn the engine over by hand with the spark plugs removed?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Can you turn the engine over by hand with the spark plugs removed?
    If you're talking about the bad engine, yes at least part of the way. I haven't checked it out good yet, but I'm pretty sure it's trashed. It appears the end came off the oil pump cable, so it probably ran without oil.

On the good ski, yes.

Thom

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Polaris was smart and set the oil pumps up so it would run full oil feed if it was ever installed incorrectly.

Polaris was smart and set the oil pumps up so it would run full oil feed if it was ever installed incorrectly.
    If this is true, then that is best news I've heard! I noticed that the cable pulled the pump lever in more, against the spring, as more throttle was applied. If you are saying that when the cable releases completely and the spring pulls it completely closed, the pump defaults to max oil, then that is the best news I've heard. Even though it appears that the spring closes the pump flow.Can you or anyone else confirm this?

I thought that max oil, in case of a failure, would be the way to design these things, as with a failure it would at the worst, foul out the plugs and save the engine. It just sounded too to be true!

If that is the case maybe I can rebuild it. I know the local dealer put a new CDI module on the ski a few days before the failure, and admited he didn't check the timing after, as he'd always done it that way and it always worked. By coincidence I had to do the same to the wife's, a couple of weeks later. The manual cautioned about checking the timing after replacing the CDI. I did, as it idled like crap, and found it advanced about 30 degrees too high with the new, superceded part number box.
    All the hassle of adjusting the timing to get it just right, now seems worth the trouble.

Anyway, my friend gave up on the Polaris and bought a new Yamaha. I bought his old ski at a good price, for parts if nothing else. Now I'm considering getting it going again if it's not too much trouble. Maybe he just melted a piston. Otherwise, I have all the parts I could need for a while, except the engine.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the info. That's good news!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information