Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'07 15f - the ski for me?

I asked this same question about the 250x in the 250 forum but I know that's not the boat for me. So, now I'm thinking the 15f could be the boat.

I've got a '99 GP1200 yamaha that I've done a couple things to in order to get it to go a bit faster. Top speed isn't my biggest desire though.

I live on a lake that's about 500 acres. We have a speed limit but, really, I'm not out when the cops are out because <35 is pretty much pointless. My greatest joy with the GP1200 is zipping around, getting a little wet, doing some tight cornering and the best is jumping the wake from other boats. I know I'll never see a big enough wave to be able to do a full extension superman or anything like that but getting the boat fully out of the water on a jump, having the acceleration to see an opportunity at the last second an really get on it, that's what I'm looking for.

Will the 15f do that for me? Is it too big, ? I really don't need a 3 seater but would LOVE the reliability of a 4 stroke EFI over the PITA 2 stroke carb'd engine I have now.

Long and short of it, I'm not going for 2 hour cruises so long term comfort, storage, etc. aren't a big deal. I'll probably never tow a tube or skier because I've got an 18' 150hp fish/ski for that. I just want to have FUN on a ski. Lastly, I'm a tweaker so I won't mind doing a couple bolt on mods for a couple extra MPH's or better hole shot.

Thanks for your help!

BTW: This is NOT a Yami vs Kawi troll or anything like that. I've got a local Kawi dealer that I really trust and would love to trade the GP1200 for something that I don't have to worry about but that I can just go nuts on having fun. I'd probably be best off with an RXP with a modded supercharger but I don't have a Sea Doo dealer I trust.

Is a 15F right for you?

Well, first off, I've got to ask what's wrong with you GP or are you just wanting a 4 stroke? Are you wanting a 3 seater or something thats just faster than your GP, I'm not really understanding. Reason I ask is a 15F isn't going to jump as good as your GP but there are other ski's that will be faster, quicker, and be more "fun" than yours and IMO jump better than yours and be better for a 500 acre lake. I just don't understand what's wrong with yours, maybe you can explain a little more.

I bolted on a couple go fast parts to the GP1200, K&N intake, ADA head and domes, Solas prop, intake grate, ride plate, premix conversion, primer. After I did that over the winter I melted two pistons. Took it in to get it fixed, put less than 1 hour on it and the same thing happened. Took it someplace else to fix it armed with more knowledge but still not knowing where the gremlin is in the engine. The crank is true, carbs have been rebuilt, SBT top end kit the whole deal. Got it back, it was just off, not running right. I did a plug check and the first dome spun in the head when I tried to take the plug out so back to the shop, they machined the ADA head down .05, new O ring kit and they swore the gremlin was found. I was literally on the lake for 10 mintues and the thing was acting up again. Brought it back to the lift, did a compression check and the front cylinder reads 90, middle 135, rear, 0!! The spark plug from the rear cylinder has no gap left, the piston must have banged the bottom of the plug and there must be a hole in the rear one again.

I'm done with this boat. I will not put another penny in it. I paid $3k for it 3 summers ago and have since put more than that back in it. I want them to take it in trade on something that I can actually use. last summer I had less than 1 hour on it, this summer so far 15 minutes. I'm done with carburated 2 strokes.

2 strokes

Well, I was going to steer you in the direction of an Ultra 150 but since you said no more carbed 2 strokes I really don't know what to tell you. IMO, I don't think an 4 stroke will do the job either because agility is not their bag either and on a 500 acre lake with the size of these 4 strokes I just think you'll be bored quickly unless you have something you can toss around and really have fun with and I just don't see you doing that with ANY of these heavy 4 strokes. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by STXR814 View Post
    Well, I was going to steer you in the direction of an Ultra 150 but since you said no more carbed 2 strokes I really don't know what to tell you. IMO, I don't think an 4 stroke will do the job either because agility is not their bag either and on a 500 acre lake with the size of these 4 strokes I just think you'll be bored quickly unless you have something you can toss around and really have fun with and I just don't see you doing that with ANY of these heavy 4 strokes. Good luck.
    Interesting. In looking at the specs for the GP1200, RXP and 15f, yes the GP1200 is 200-250 lbs lighter, 3-4" skinnier and about 10" shorter but it's also 130HP vs. 165/215. I was surprised to see that the 15f was actually shorter and lighter than the RXP.

The Ultra 150 and a couple other ski's out there I'm sure would be great but I'm just not willing to go that route again. I realize that whatever I get I'll be limited with what I can do just because of the size of the lake we live on so that's a reality no matter what boat I get but any boat actually working is better than the "best boat for the lake" that's in the shop.

Thanks for the input!!

I just sold a ultra 150 & I also have a 2006 15f. The 15f handles better than the ultra did. For a 3 seater it feels very light & nimble it runs 62.8 on gps and is very quick out of the hole. If you buy one you won't regreat it. Rode my friends rxp its fast in a stright line can not hang with 15f in chop or cornering. P.S. its nice just having to check the oil push the button (No Smoke) and ride all day problem free & worry about nothing. Good luck on your choice.

+1

15f

i have a 2006 15f and have no regrets takes the water great and corners awesome,not the lightest ski for wavejumping but u can still have fun on it.theres guys on this site running high 60s with just a few boltons,i have a intake and r&d rideplate sealed up and in 90 degree heat still gps in the 65mph.

i suggest an 07 gp1300r
    u can put a few mods on it to make it faster, u can jump it quite easily and it just as or more powerful than the 15f. the gp also is very reliable and handles great

Seriously think about the 2 seater turbo honda.. I just bought one.. This thing is sick on gas.. Lasts atleast twice as long or more then any other ski.. Only does about 62-63mph.. But depends what your looking for. Also definetly the most relaible ski on the market.. Got a friend with honda rentels with 1000 hrs on them..

honda Kaw

Quote Originally Posted by sponge racing View Post
    Seriously think about the 2 seater turbo honda.. I just bought one.. This thing is sick on gas.. Lasts atleast twice as long or more then any other ski.. Only does about 62-63mph.. But depends what your looking for. Also definetly the most relaible ski on the market.. Got a friend with honda rentels with 1000 hrs on them..
    Im a owner of 06 15f and 07 15f
    just sold that boat(ultra 250) i had bought 2 months ago
    ok to the point i love the 15f but my friend has honda turbo with mac boost kit on it and it faster and use LESS gas with the mac kit on
    just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information