+1

Broke a promise to myself

I remember back in 1998 when I had finished enjoying my 1996 XP for my first whole summer. At least 6 of the people I ride with went out and bought XP Limiteds, GSX Limiteds and GTX Limiteds. All of them blew up in the first few weeks they owned them and they had to leave them in the shop for a good chunk of our short summer.

It was shortly after that I stated that I would never own a "951" Seadoo. Well, I went and picked up a 1998 XP Limited today with a blown engine. It seems the owner took it into the shop 2 years ago with engine issues, they gave him a quote and he took it home and bought another one. This week he took it back to the same dealer to get some cash for it since he is moving out of state. It needs a good wash and wax and a new seat cover.

I haven't had time to look at the engine that close but the crank looks like it is a big chunk of rust.

Updates to follow. I will be looking for parts as well.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You'll love your new ride Mike. Nothing like the spring seat for long choppy cruises. A good pick to add to your selection!

RQ

+1
    I have rode a couple of them over the years, but I never like sitting so high. I figured I would need to spend a couple of weekends on one before I got used to it.

Got a spare 951 I could have?

Seriously, it looks like the previous owner ingested water and then it rusted solid. If the crank is rusted like crazy, will the cases be salvageable? What about the cylinder? They are rusty as well. It is still together, I assume the pistons will be difficult to get out.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    What about the cylinder? They are rusty as well. It is still together, I assume the pistons will be difficult to get out.

drop some oil down the spark plug holes and let it sit a while, should free up the pistons for an easier removal

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I've found PB Blaster to be the best rust penetrant out there. Soaking the rings with this for a couple days sould allow you to get them out. The cases and cylinder should be salvageable, depending on the severity of the rust on the sleeves will determine how much, if any, you need to bore.

Yeah...this ski has a learning curve moreso with any other ski as far as getting used to the ride and being up so high in the air. It gives you the false illusion of being top-heavy, but ride time will get you over it. Plus...1' plus chop won't beat you to death like the X-4's do...your butt will appreciate the shock seat...

Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    I have rode a couple of them over the years, but I never like sitting so high. I figured I would need to spend a couple of weekends on one before I got used to it.

Got a spare 951 I could have?

Seriously, it looks like the previous owner ingested water and then it rusted solid. If the crank is rusted like crazy, will the cases be salvageable? What about the cylinder? They are rusty as well. It is still together, I assume the pistons will be difficult to get out.

+1
    Looks like we don't have PB Blaster up in Canada. I sprayed a bit of Lloyd's "Move it" over the pistons tonight. For some reason this engine is in a million pieces. I don't know why they would do that when they weren't going to rebuild it. When I get a chance, I am going to go through all the boxes of parts and clean up everything. I had a chance to clean up the hull tonight. It was a mess. A little fiberglass restorer fixed it up though.

Thread Information