Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking of becoming a kawasaki owner... questions...

Alright, my first post to what might be my new PWC home soon.. the kawi section! Here's my situation... I have a 97 showroom condition yamaha gp1200. It runs great and does about 61mph on the gps at the max but averages about 57-59 and if there's substantial chop, 56 and up. I have found someone somewhat local (within 200 miles of me) who has a SWEET 97 kawasaki zxi 1100 RACE SKI that is dubbed down for rec use. The owner of the boat, is the second owner, who uses it for rec riding. He bought it from his friend, who raced it. He has had it for three years with no problems. However, his new girlfriend doesn't like the ski because it is wicked fast on takeoff and too fast on top speed. He quotes that it will throw you off if your not gripping hard when you take on the throttle. They are looking to downgrade to a nice stable, moderatly fast ski like my gp1200 and we have agreed on a trade. Now, I love the GP, but this is a good deal I think...

Don't rip on the zxi vs the gp yet... I know overall most people would pick to have the gp, but remember my gp is stock.. this is what the zxi has:

UMI Racing Steering
    Cool Head
    Extended Ride Plate
    Beach House Adjustable Racing Sponsons
    Jettrim Racing Seat Cover
    Aqua Traction Foot Mats
    Coffman Racing Exaust Pipe
    TDR racing waterbox
    Buckshot Carbs
    Skat-Trak Impellar
    R&D or Skat-Trak Intake Grate
    K&N Flame Arrestors
    Aftermarker Reeds
    Renthal Handlebar Cover
    Custom Paint
    Aftermarket Cooling Lines In The Side Of Rail
    Custom Racing Decals

Of course I plan to do the normal, check compression and a plug burn test when I test drive it... check for leaks.. etc...

What do you guys think? I'm a speed freak, and this boat does close to 70mph and gets there VERY fast.. plus it looks really cool with the red and black paint job on top, and the jettrim seat... what would you do? Also regarding handling, I'm aware that the zxi hull had issues stock anyway, but with the handling, propulsion upgrades this ski has, I fashion it would handle as good or better then the gp, since it has been re-designed for a race course. I love the GP, it is perfect, but I figure, it's just a normal better than average condition gp.. this is a limited one of a kind race ski, some of these parts aren't even produced anymore.. so this would be a better grab.. I can always get me another gp down the road when the ski's are out of season and people are selling!

Anything else I should inspect for when I test drive it? I'm really curious as to what other's think about this deal.. assuming the other ski is in excellent mechanical condition, which I'm sure it is.. it's obvoiusly in great physical condtion as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Jared

It's hard to say.......I think once you ride it then you can make up your mind. I know from having a ZXI that it's steering is unlike any other. It feels like its center is behind you instead of in front of you like most. It always felt too squirley to go real fast on.

You also must remember that it's going to require alot of maintenance it won't be a "just ride" type jetski like your GP.

"one of a kind"

Well, IMO I'd stay away from it personally. A "one of a kind" of anything means very expensive to fix or replace. Not knocking, but I think I still have the magazine where that same pipe was tested on a 96 ZXI when it first came out with a R&D head on it and all it did was 56 mph on radar. With the Buckshots on it your going to have problems and with those carbs you can't get any help anymore cause like you said they aren't made anymore and good luck finding a combo like this on a ZXI. I'm sure it runs very good when its running but before I did this move I'd sell what you've got and buy a newer ski and put minor mods on it and KNOW its reliable. Just trying to help. Word to the wise, serious racing skis with all the works like this are made to race and work on not recreational use and you can't have both in the same, make your choice. Why don you think I'm not racing anymore? I work on airplanes for a living I don't want to work on my hobby either I want to enjoy it.

Yeah, I kind of figured. The guy insists that since he bought it, and it was tuned down for rec use he has ridden it for three years without a problem, other than a common problem for the zxi, pump shaft leak which was fixed. He said that's the only problem the ski has had...? It "is" a rec ski now, and has been since it was raced more than three years ago. Either way, I've got someone interested to buy my gp1200 for $3000 right away without a trailer... is that about right? I know I paid much less than that, but I got a steal of a deal... do you think I should do that and look for a gpr? What would be a nice, not to much over $3000 upgrade ski from what I currently have? Perhaps a 99 gpr (did they make them in that year?).. I know I won't be able to afford anything over 2000... much over $3000 is my cap...

What about an ultra 150? I know you guys must rave about these.. if I could find on in my area though...

I just posted to the kawasaki wanted section... I saw someone was selling a 99 with some mods for $3500... but in new york! That would be right up my alley!

Anyone upgrading to a 250.. wanting to sell your 150...? Come on, lake norman is 45 minutes south east of me.. I know there has to be a few of these on the lake!

What is the stock top speed of these... from what I'm reading, it was the worlds fastest production watercraft at a point.. what about for rec use.. are they reliable like my gp?

I'm just browsing the market... trying to find a faster ski then I already have that I can afford...

Ultra 150?

Well, I'll try to answer you like this. First of all, the first yr. of the GPR was 00 if I remember correctly. Secondly, it really depends on what your looking for if an Ultra 150 is your bag. I've had 2 of them and personally I loved both of them. The ONLY reason I don't have the last one is I got an STXR which I love also but they are both completely different, apples and oranges. I got the STXR for more of a family ski, its stable, very quick, takes chop good and react very well to minor mods. The Ultra 150 is much the same way but is more of a "fun" ski if you will and not for the family persay. That's why when I had an Ultra 150 and STXR it really was the best of both worlds. An Ultra 150 equally compared to something else isn't as quick but midrange and topend is fast. The Ultra is a midrange ang top end ski. For any 150 owner a Shredmaster plate is a must! The rougher the water it will kill you on this ski and it comes unhooked very easily, in this case I mean a boat wave. So we're talking less than 2ft. chop and this is a great ski and it is definitely lean in type ride, motor cycle on water if you will, great jumper because of trim, great HP/weight ratio. Not bad on fuel either compared to other carbed skis, large tank. Can handle two up easily for the "older" two seaters. If I wasn't married and wasn't a family man I'd still have one, period. This ski was the most fun I've ever ridden! Don't get me wrong, I love my STXR because of handling and don't expect if you get in 3ft. + chop with an Ultra 150 for it to run with and STXR or other bigger skis because it won't, it just won't stay in the water but if its smooth like less than 1ft. you'll run on top end with most anything out there still today. Most stockers ran in the 64-65 mph range on GPS, I was lucky and I had an 02 that did 66 ish bone stock with a repitched OEM impeller, ADA sponsons, shimmed pump, Shred plate, it ran 67.1 on 87 oct, not bad for a bone stock motor.

Quote Originally Posted by STXR814 View Post
    Well, I'll try to answer you like this. First of all, the first yr. of the GPR was 00 if I remember correctly. Secondly, it really depends on what your looking for if an Ultra 150 is your bag. I've had 2 of them and personally I loved both of them. The ONLY reason I don't have the last one is I got an STXR which I love also but they are both completely different, apples and oranges. I got the STXR for more of a family ski, its stable, very quick, takes chop good and react very well to minor mods. The Ultra 150 is much the same way but is more of a "fun" ski if you will and not for the family persay. That's why when I had an Ultra 150 and STXR it really was the best of both worlds. An Ultra 150 equally compared to something else isn't as quick but midrange and topend is fast. The Ultra is a midrange ang top end ski. For any 150 owner a Shredmaster plate is a must! The rougher the water it will kill you on this ski and it comes unhooked very easily, in this case I mean a boat wave. So we're talking less than 2ft. chop and this is a great ski and it is definitely lean in type ride, motor cycle on water if you will, great jumper because of trim, great HP/weight ratio. Not bad on fuel either compared to other carbed skis, large tank. Can handle two up easily for the "older" two seaters. If I wasn't married and wasn't a family man I'd still have one, period. This ski was the most fun I've ever ridden! Don't get me wrong, I love my STXR because of handling and don't expect if you get in 3ft. + chop with an Ultra 150 for it to run with and STXR or other bigger skis because it won't, it just won't stay in the water but if its smooth like less than 1ft. you'll run on top end with most anything out there still today. Most stockers ran in the 64-65 mph range on GPS, I was lucky and I had an 02 that did 66 ish bone stock with a repitched OEM impeller, ADA sponsons, shimmed pump, Shred plate, it ran 67.1 on 87 oct, not bad for a bone stock motor.

GREAT! Well, not looking for a big family ski.. and the lakes I ride on mostly do not have over 2ft of chop. How does it compare to my gp.. it rides great on the lakes we have around here stock other then the beachhouse sponsons...? Now, if I can only locate one locally!!!

comarison?

A Ultra 150 with a Shred plate compared to your GP will be more fun. It will make you "learn" how to ride better cause you have to, you don't have a choice. When Kawasaki said it was a pint size rocketship they were right. Now, I'm not saying its small cause to me an XP is small. It will definitely be different than your GP. It will be quicker and faster, much more nimble but its a kind of ski that you've got to learn how to get everybit out of it to achieve its maximum performance like holeshots and topspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by STXR814 View Post
    A Ultra 150 with a Shred plate compared to your GP will be more fun. It will make you "learn" how to ride better cause you have to, you don't have a choice. When Kawasaki said it was a pint size rocketship they were right. Now, I'm not saying its small cause to me an XP is small. It will definitely be different than your GP. It will be quicker and faster, much more nimble but its a kind of ski that you've got to learn how to get everybit out of it to achieve its maximum performance like holeshots and topspeed.
    Great to hear! Does it have ok storage like my gp? I know it has two ok size storage containers, one up front, and one in the rear, and a glove box...

So, with my offer that I have received of $3000 cash for my gp.. advice needed.. should I take it and save it for when an ultra pops up...? Is this about average for a mint condition single owner 97 gp? This is without trailer of course.. I wish I knew where to find the actual recommened retail for jet skis like cars! I can say that it looks brand new.. it has a couple scratches on the bottom of the hull, and a few small scratches on the front hood, but that's about it. It look completely brand new, very well taken care of and in perfect mechanical shape. I'm just wondering since I haven't found my replacement yet, it would be wise to sell the gp now while I have it pretty much sold... or if I could do better advertising it and all?

Hmmm.. so many decisions!

Didn't you say you are in Florida? I saw a pair of 2000's in the classifieds in central Fla.http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26324

An ultra set up right will have a mean holeshot. And for as small a lake as you ride it will be perfect.
    Last edited by Shogun; 07-08-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: wrong web site

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information