Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

UK Hurricane project

Ok guys this is my project, 1996 POLARIS HURRICANE, brought by me 4 years ago, after 2 great years the ski started to have a few problems (bogging and the like), on the 3rd year a tune from a so called expert , left me with a blown motor, this is the ski on the trailer 12 months ago

the ski was then left for 12 months while i enjoyed my family ski (seadoo , i know dont shout),
    Anyway after 12 months i went to get the ski back from the storage . After a phone call to the ski shop where it was being stored , he confirmed he had checked the trailer and all was well to collect it,
    200 miles later and 5 miles away from the ski shop the axle broke on the trailer ,

So the ski and trailer was recovered back home, I really dont think this ski wonts to go back in the water ,

Back at home saw me rebuild the trailer, clean the ski (external) and return the ski to a reconditioned trailer , CAN I JUST SAY I DO ALL THE WORK MYSELF,

A quick fit of a tow bar to the subaru and its ready to be towed.

this is the ride that will be pulling the ski . little off topic but thought you might like to see it,

Subaru STI V2 410Bhp at the flywheel,

Any way back to it, the motor was stripped down to see the damage

Originaly it was thought to be a seazed piston, but it turned out to be a seazed crank, so the engine has been pulled to reveal alot of mods as well,
    The pistons and pot have been cleaned and ar ready for the bores to be roughed up and new rings.
    The ski also require,
    Starter motor
    Battery,
    Carb rebuild,
    Crank rebuild,

a good clean and a spell in the wifes dish washer and all is well. They will have new Rings / piston pins / piston clips / top bearings,

While waiting for engine parts a clean up of the parts starts with the exhaust, originaly i thought it had been repaired , but now find out it has been modified,
    The previous owner had raced the ski , or so im told,
    The exhaust was stripped, and i saw that a 2” or 50mm section had been removed

took it to work and painted gloss black in heat proof paint,

must say it looks fine now

And as i found out, it will help alot with the performance of the ski,

Next was the hud , it was badly creeking when you lifted it and a quick look saw the rams in a bad state and the hinge almost seazed,

30 mins latter finds the rams are fine just showing signs of rust, so a good clean and a coat of paint and they are looking great,

I will be cleaning the inner hull this week and refitting the hinges and rams , and hopefully breaking the carbs down and rebuilding them. I am waiting for parts that im having to order from the USA, because as some may know im in the UK and cane parst are few and far between, i will post some more pics latter of the hull and crank case,

Thanks for your interest and help, i will be posting any other mods i have and the jet sizes the ski is using for them

Mick

Started cleaning the inner hull today ,almost everything out now just need to get it degreased,

The hull is at its worste now , only way is up now Ha Ha

another good afternoons work and a few steps closer to getting the ski built back up.

Mick

Hull degreased ready for paint and the new parts to go in, cant belive the amount of rubish underneath the engine,

Mick
    Last edited by z00m; 07-09-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Mick, NICE POST That Cane is still in great shape. Know idea who did the mods? Don't forget I'm dying to know what jets are in those carbs with the modified pipe. I have an extra pipe and I am thinking of have it cut.

i will post the jets up as soon as i can , should be rebuilding the carbs this week, so i can fill you in,
    Got to say i am really enjoying it ,not only rebuilding the engine , but the re furb of the whole ski,

Mick

+1
    Can you get a close up of the handle bar setup when you get a chance? Looks like aftermarket bars on there too?

They are , but the guy before made up the bar clamp then welded them on, i will be taking this off and fixing a proper bar clamp on ,

The MFD also has the compass bit on to, that i think is also an upgrade.
    Mick

Great work so far! Keep the pictures coming.

Got home early to day so took the chance to cut and polish the paint on the cane, waiting for parts so not much else to do. I really had forgotten how clean this ski is for 11 years old,

Mick

+1
    WOW that is CLEAN. Mine is a beater compared to that, but it was cheap and with a little TLC it should be tons of fun.

Hi guys not much done today still waiting on parts, the new cover came

and had to paint the exhaust and water box red as original,

I really am struggling to get some plastikote spray bed liner in the uk

Mick
    Last edited by z00m; 07-12-2007 at 02:35 PM.

+1
    WOW, I missed this thread, it looks killer!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information