Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

installed skegs today and found new problem

I installed my skegs today,did not even need to hold it with a 2x4 and a jack a simple strong tape just to meake sure it stayed put.

I discovered that on my riva intake grate that the middle bolt head is compleatly gone bolt broke (the right one and left one are fine)what should i do? reathread it? glue it with epoxy steal? the bolt is stuck in the insert so cant remove it unless there is a way?

please help i do not want to lose my intake grate,or strip my other bolts.

+1
    You're going to have to drill and retap the threads. Having that middle bolt in place is very important as the two outer bolts just thread into brass inserts set in plastic.

go to the hardware store & get an easy out....drill whats left of the bolt in the size the easy out requires & then use the easy out & get new bolt

+1
    yea, that should work, plus try heating (soldering gun) the bolt just b4 u easy-out to soften the threadlocker.....this will often require luck as well as some skill w/ the drill....and PLEASE....u are drilling from underneath..use SAFETY GOGGLES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TorquePhoto View Post
    go to the hardware store & get an easy out....drill whats left of the bolt in the size the easy out requires & then use the easy out & get new bolt
    ou're going to have to drill and retap the threads. Having that middle bolt in place is very important as the two outer bolts just thread into brass inserts set in plastic.

so if i get the easy out thing i will just have to put back the same bolt as was before? but it takes some skill do i need to remove the intake grate for this?

i don't think i want to remove those 2 outer bolts as i remember reading long time ago that they tend to spin in themselves if not heatead a bit before.

or just j b weld the intake grate in there and leave it alone i wonder how long i have been riding this way

so what is the middle bolt held with in the hull jerry? metal fiberglass because how deep do i drill and retap if i need to go that route? you know i dont want to sink next ride out i need to test your SKEGS

the center bolt screws into a metal tab that is part of the ride plate.....if you drill too far you will go through the pump shoe not the hull......use one of the stock bolts & mark your drill bit with its length.

if he removed the grate, wouldn`t there be enough bolt to grab to try and spin out?...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    if he removed the grate, wouldn`t there be enough bolt to grab to try and spin out?...PR...

maybe....but when mine broke it wash flush with the little brass insert...had to drill

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pale Rider

maybe....but when mine broke it wash flush with the little brass insert...had to drill

same here flush with the hull,i think i figured out why it broke
    the center bolt comes out more from the intake grate compare to the 2 outer ones and with the force of water it just snaps after time and more top speed hehe

If by chance you end up having to drill the bolt,Try using a "left hand/twist" drill bit,slow speed & you might get lucky a pull it out while drilling,if not ,you've made a hole for the "easyout"
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information