Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats it feel like to float a valve? If thats what i think i did?

Was driven the machine all day today running great, and a buddy wanna to run me in his Offshore so i was running him for quite a distance and i felt my machine like go into a pretty harsh vibration, so i let off and crusied for a bit and it ran fine, so i gave it again and it would only rev to 7700rpms then start to make a noise almost like detonation, but it also was like the motor was vibrating alot. It was super hot out today like 105 degrees and the waters about 78 degree or more. My machine was running a steady 8080-8160 before it made the noise. And yes i have the SS washers in. So i figured maybe i floated a valve but i never knew what it felt like! and if i did float a valve and caught quickly did i do any internal damage? I gave er one last time to see if it would do it again and it didn't it hit 8120rpms. Ran fine again so i just cruised home and it was ok. When i was racing my buddy i did go over a bunch i mean a bunch of sea weed so is it possibly that could have done something. It wasnt cavitating tho like a had some in the pump cause i checked and there was none!
    Last edited by NeverEndn; 07-08-2007 at 07:14 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverEndn View Post
    Was driven the machine all day today running great, and a buddy wanna to run me in his Offshore so i was running him for quite a distance and i felt my machine like go into a pretty harsh vibration, so i let off and crusied for a bit and it ran fine, so i gave it again and it would only rev to 7700rpms then start to make a noise almost like detonation, but it also was like the motor was vibrating alot. It was super hot out today like 105 degrees and the waters about 78 degree or more. My machine was running a steady 8080-8160 before it made the noise. And yes i have the SS washers in. So i figured maybe i floated a valve but i never knew what it felt like! and if i did float a valve and caught quickly did i do any internal damage? I gave er one last time to see if it would do it again and it didn't it hit 8120rpms. Ran fine again so i just cruised home and it was ok. When i was racing my buddy i did go over a bunch i mean a bunch of sea weed so is it possibly that could have done something. It wasnt cavitating tho like a had some in the pump cause i checked and there was none!
    you had some chit in the pump, next time try going flat out, pull the lanyard and let the seaweed push thru, or else its get undernieth and remove the debries

Quote Originally Posted by jetskibill9999 View Post
    you had some chit in the pump, next time try going flat out, pull the lanyard and let the seaweed push thru, or else its get undernieth and remove the debries
    I sure hope thats all it was (crosses fingers)

+1
    I sure hope thats all it was (crosses fingers)
    when some weed gets in your pump, or a bag, or a twig, or a stone, it feels very vibrational, thats the time to stop, get to the bank, lob it on its side, and clear the debries

when some weed gets in your pump, or a bag, or a twig, or a stone, it feels very vibrational, thats the time to stop, get to the bank, lob it on its side, and clear the debries
    Really i didnt think weeds could make feel as if the motor wants to jump outta the jet ski. But i slowed down put it in reverse , gave it a bit. Drifted for a bit then tryed it and it was fine. If you float a valve tho would your top end be toast , well in the cyclinder that did it! It probably wouldnt run to great after or can there be a mild floating were it doesnt do anything?

+1
    Really i didnt think weeds could make feel as if the motor wants to jump outta the jet ski. But i slowed down put it in reverse , gave it a bit. Drifted for a bit then tryed it and it was fine. If you float a valve tho would your top end be toast , well in the cyclinder that did it! It probably wouldnt run to great after or can there be a mild floating were it doesnt do anything?
    if one of your valves floated, eg let loose, then your ski would be nacked for most of this summer, cos it would detonate a piston, hope you dont get that, regards bill

I don`t think there is any safe margin as far as how long or short a duration goes for floating a valve, when the valve floats it`ll def get whacked. piston speeds vs valve hang time = piston wins.
    I`m sure Jerry or one of the pro`s can elaborate...

I thought these engines were safe from float at 8100-8200...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I don`t think there is any safe margin as far as how long or short a duration goes for floating a valve, when the valve floats it`ll def get whacked. piston speeds vs valve hang time = piston wins.
    I`m sure Jerry or one of the pro`s can elaborate...

I thought these engines were safe from float at 8100-8200...PR...
    andy you know when a valve lets go it catastrofic, this guy had a weed injestion

andy you know when a valve lets go it catastrofic, this guy had a weed injestion
    not disagreeing, I think he`d know if he floated a valve , ski no likey!...PR...

You got something in your pump, it is amazing how bad the ski sounds when you have something stuck in there. The dead give away is you saying you ran over a bunch of sea weed. If you floated a valve you would have needed a tow rope to come back in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information