Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to install Theft Deterrent System

I'm not entirely comfortable leaving my 2004 MSX-140 sitting at the dock where anyone who can keep the kill switch from engaging can drive away with my ski. So I looked online and saw that P/N 287-2304 is a Theft Deterrent System, and is listed as being compatible with my ski!

Well, I got the piece in, and while it says "Provides protection from theft and unauthorized use of Polaris watercraft manufactured since 1998", I can't seem to follow the directions. Here they are (in shortened form):

1) Disconnect the battery
    2) Mount the keypad
    3) run the wire harness to the electrical box. Run the harness through one of the factory holes in the box being careful to seal the hole with the rubber plug mounted on the harness
    4) Find the yellow/red wire in the electrical box that goes to the starter solenoid. Connect the wire to the relax connection marked #87A
    5. Mount the supplied relay in the electrical box.
    Connect the red/purple harness wire to the terminal marked with the same color.
    Connect the black harness wire to the terminal marked with the same color.
    Connect the black/yellow harness write to the relay terminal #85.
    Connect the orange harness wire to the relay terminal #86.
    Connect the orange harness jumper wire to the relay terminal #30.
    Connect the yellow/red harness jumper wire to the terminal board market yellow/red.
    Reconnect the battery.

Am I blind, or does the MSX-140 not have an electrical box? Everythign seems to be routed through the FICHT box, and there are no opening to that as far as I can see.

I'm guessing that I could manually wire this - red to hot, black to negative, and put a splice in the yellow/red wire to the starting solenoid - but then what should I mount the relay in to keep it and it's connections waterproof?

Thanks everybody for your advice.

-Scott

for keeping it waterproof the besat thing i found is liquid tape at walmart its about $5 for a can and it works great i use it on everything i do and i do about three coats to make sure, sorry thats all i can help you with i dont know much about that ski

good luck tho

Scott it sounds like your alternate wiring will work fine Z

+1
    Disabling the starter solenoid is not enough, it's easy to by-pass.
    You want to take out the power to the fuel pump and/or CDI, I would think in terms of disabling the start/stop button.
    This way if the would be thief installs the tether and tries to crank he gets nothing.

i think just fliping the fuel slecetors is well enough for most idiots . but sume craft mofos might even carry a heavy guage wire with em 2 jump the silonoid ,

thats pretty cool tho a key pad is a great idea . its alot less annoying than DINK-DINK

But if the starter solenoid is disabled.... when the would be thief tries to crank won't he get nothing? I realize there is a certain measure of security from having all the connections in the electrical box (if there was one) - and it would be pretty easy to bypass a rigged-in starter kill...

My whole theory about preventing theft is "theft deterrence". If it's easier to steal something else, most thiefs will. That's why the club is so effective on a car. Sure - they can get that club off the wheel in about 10 seconds with a hacksaw... but why bother when there are easier targets. I just want it so that if someone tries to start my ski when i'm not around - it doesn't work right away. They can hot wire it and get it running fairly quickly.... but it's my belief that if it doens't turn over.. they're going to try and get one that does!

I put in a keys switch and a flashing led anything is better than nothing

+1
    I like the key but I'd install tamper proof screws for the plate, it might keep a new crook honest.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_dc View Post
    But if the starter solenoid is disabled.... when the would be thief tries to crank won't he get nothing? I realize there is a certain measure of security from having all the connections in the electrical box (if there was one) - and it would be pretty easy to bypass a rigged-in starter kill...

My whole theory about preventing theft is "theft deterrence". If it's easier to steal something else, most thiefs will. That's why the club is so effective on a car. Sure - they can get that club off the wheel in about 10 seconds with a hacksaw... but why bother when there are easier targets. I just want it so that if someone tries to start my ski when i'm not around - it doesn't work right away. They can hot wire it and get it running fairly quickly.... but it's my belief that if it doens't turn over.. they're going to try and get one that does!
    True BUT if the ski is alone and the fucker has time, it's the first thing he'll try.

+1
    Just make sure the fuel filters are pluged...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information