10 hour service, list

I'm at the 10 hour mark on my GTI. I stopped in at the dealer this morning and asked what they do. He said 150 and it includes an oil change. I asked what else, and he mumbled about not having the list in front of him. I said "what? check clamps?". "Oh, yeah. We do that for you." Wow. I asked if there is anything they "do" besides change the oil. Not really it seems. I asked if they do a compression check, "We do that too". Yeah right! Anyway, it seems they do everything I asked about, but somehow couldn't tell me what they do. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I haven't got a shop manual yet. Could someone give me a list of what they do, or preferably just scan the page?

Or am I just good changing the oil and giving everything a wiggle? I have already changed my wear ring and impeller thanks to my g/f hitting a rock bar.

I could be wrong, but isn't the service schedule in the users handbook?

Quote Originally Posted by bic1 View Post
    I could be wrong, but isn't the service schedule in the users handbook?
    It is, but like most businesses nowadays, ethics are right out the window.

So if you don't have proof that a certified tech or dealer did the 10 hour, and you have a warranty issue, they can give you grief or fight with you about who pays for it.

In order to make it a non-issue, a lot of guys pay the dealership to do a 10 hour and the 50 and the remaining services (which is a butt load of money when you total it all up).

Me, I punted on my warranty on day 1. Dealerships are terrible about honoring their comittments, particularly in our case because PWC's aren't that expensive. If there's $2500 at stake for a warranty claim, they realize that you're not going to go through the hastle of paying a lawyer $1500 to start a small claim.

With auto's it's another story, cause the amounts are larger.

The other retarded thing about this whole bit is that the 10 hour calls for replacing the plugs. I'll check mine, but with a 4 stroke engine, unless the timing is just way off, fouling and bad plugs are very uncommon. There's no need to "replace" them blindly.

I'm not paying a dealership $200 to basically change the oil and check the plugs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    I'm not paying a dealership $200 to basically change the oil and check the plugs.
    Well that is what they do, my 10 hr service cost $260.

Alright, I will just go off the list in the owner's manual. I am not taking it in for service just out of fear of a denied warranty claim. Half the guys at the dealer are not as smart as me, but because they work at the dealer it makes it all good?

Thanks for the replies guys.

mr. knowitall
    my dealer here in north florida, told us the 10 hour service was 225.00 plus oil and filter!!!!sounds crazy to me!!!!!

I just did mine myself, change your oil, keep the receipts and snap a picture with your receipt and the dash showing ten hours. I did it for 40 in supplies and an oil extractor that cost me sixty but I will use it everytime. I hate paying for work to be done to my own crap.

When I talked to the dealer all they could muster was they change the oil at ten hours, couldn't tell me what else they do for 150.

Do it yourself. With the money you save you can buy the service manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ramnj View Post
    Do it yourself. With the money you save you can buy the service manual.
    Where do you get the service manual, I have the cheap $10 one from EBay, but I want better picture? Don't say the dealer because my local dealer says Seadoo does not sell the service manual. Yes, I know they are full of s**t.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    Where do you get the service manual, I have the cheap $10 one from EBay, but I want better picture? Don't say the dealer because my local dealer says Seadoo does not sell the service manual. Yes, I know they are full of s**t.

If your dealer can't get you one, then go to another dealer and order it or PM Shibby so he can get you one. Otherwise, your eBay version will have to do.

Thread Information