Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Supercharger Gear Drive Failure

Was riding yesterday, cruising at 4000 rpms, when I heard a metal ting, then heard the supercharger quit working. Got the boat home pulled the super and everything was in tact except for the gear drive. The shaft had some scrapes where the gear used to be. I have not heard of this type of failure, usually it is washers. Yes I have the metal ones. I have not yet recovered the pieces, questions: can I just open up the cover on the back of the motor or do I have to pull the entire engine to find pieces? Is there any type of upgrade to this gear or now should I look at getting a new shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by spawn5150 View Post
    Was riding yesterday, cruising at 4000 rpms, when I heard a metal ting, then heard the supercharger quit working. Got the boat home pulled the super and everything was in tact except for the gear drive. The shaft had some scrapes where the gear used to be. I have not heard of this type of failure, usually it is washers. Yes I have the metal ones. I have not yet recovered the pieces, questions: can I just open up the cover on the back of the motor or do I have to pull the entire engine to find pieces? Is there any type of upgrade to this gear or now should I look at getting a new shaft?
    HMMMM this is interesting. How many hours were on the shaft ? I have not heard of a upgraded gear probably because failures like this are rare. I would just get a new shaft kit.

+1
    Spawn you will need to take the rear cover off to make sure you get all the piece's out and just like if the ceramic's break you need to check the oil pumps as well. If you find all the piece's just get new parts and put back together and change the oil, if not you may need to take the whole motor apart and clean it good.

The shaft had 96 hours on it, but I had it rebuilt by green hulk less than five hours

I say you need to pull that engine and clean it out, there can be lots of small metalpieces you can reach by only take the cover off

Would you be ok with metal???
    I thought the problem with ceramic is that it literally shatters into small pieces that would go thro' the screen.
    Would the metal be much larger pieces that would be caught by the screen?

Dont forget to find all the little needle bearings. That should be a task in itself

+1
    OH dam thats right ....needle bearings! PULL THAT MOTOR!!

that blows, sorry to hear that, can you post some pics for us to see???...PR...

+1
    WOW! sorry to hear about that. I have only heard of a few others doing this. I think Psycho RXP was one of them. Definately pull the engine and remove the PTO housing to clean up the debris and inspect for other damages.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information