Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Range of 250X at full throttle?

Appreciate 250X rider's feedback regarding range they are getting at WOT? That is, for those of you that hold it open for a full tank - what range are you getting? How many miles on one tank at WOT?

Thanks

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Hey Socal, I personally don't have the answer to your question, but am interested in what your range is at WOT. What range are you getting WOT till empty?
    Last edited by earthshaker; 07-09-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: reworded slightly.

I haven't had the pleasure to ride WOT all day either. Mainly cause I go to the ocean, second cause I ride with a buddy on a FX HO so I can't just run WOT all day, or it'd be pointless to ride with a friend on a slightly slower ski.

to answer your question,

I went WOT in the ocean for about 45 miles straight without letting off, then had to back off to between 8/10ths and full throttle for the remaining 15 miles due to sea state (total 60 miles) - went through 20.3 gallons of fuel. This included approx. 1.5 miles of idling in no wake zone to get to start / return area.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    lb2cat is 23.6 miles one way from info i've seen. Looks like the Ultra 250 will make it round trip. Man i wish i could enter that race!!! (or at least have luch at Catalina!) I'll bet the basis for your question is that you're trying to shave weight and run the least fuel possible.

Out of curiosity, are you practicing for lb2cat out of Dana Point which would explain the longer distance or is the 23.6 figure off?

Quote Originally Posted by Socaloffshore View Post
    to answer your question,

I went WOT in the ocean for about 45 miles straight without letting off, then had to back off to between 8/10ths and full throttle for the remaining 15 miles due to sea state (total 60 miles) - went through 20.3 gallons of fuel. This included approx. 1.5 miles of idling in no wake zone to get to start / return area.
    Man those no wake zone can eat some gas. The Utra is happier on plane. Pushing water really burns fuel.

Range @ WOT

This may be a dumb question...did you see page 13 of the manual?

"19.7 gallons per hour at full throttle"
    Then it says:
    Cruising range 65.3 miles at full throttle... 59 minutes.

This is some of that fuzzy math. If it burns 19.7 in an hour, how can it burn 20.6 gallons in 59 minutes????

Anyway, 65.3 miles in 59 minutes means an average speed of 66 miles per hour. Slower at first, then faster as you burn...sounds about right
    ...roughly 3 MPG @ WOT and I've seen up to 4-1/4 MPG cruising at 30-40 in 1-2 foot seas

If you're going to do a lot of that, I'd strap an extra 5 gallons on the back deck to get home

Quote Originally Posted by Red Diculous View Post
    This may be a dumb question...did you see page 13 of the manual?

"19.7 gallons per hour at full throttle"
    Then it says:
    Cruising range 65.3 miles at full throttle... 59 minutes.

This is some of that fuzzy math. If it burns 19.7 in an hour, how can it burn 20.6 gallons in 59 minutes????

Anyway, 65.3 miles in 59 minutes means an average speed of 66 miles per hour. Slower at first, then faster as you burn...sounds about right
    ...roughly 3 MPG @ WOT and I've seen up to 4-1/4 MPG cruising at 30-40 in 1-2 foot seas

If you're going to do a lot of that, I'd strap an extra 5 gallons on the back deck to get home
    Because they are talking about miles on the gauge, which will be inaccurate just like the speed, since they are using speed x time to get miles. Alot of people read lower speeds on the dash and have to move their speed wheel down to get it right. If the manual is based off a ski that wasn't adjusted right, then I guess that could be why.

Just a random assed thought, but maybe lol

Quote Originally Posted by Socaloffshore View Post
    Appreciate 250X rider's feedback regarding range they are getting at WOT? That is, for those of you that hold it open for a full tank - what range are you getting? How many miles on one tank at WOT?

Thanks
    SoCal, I'm very interested in this same issue and would like to help. I have plenty of room for WOT touring and now finally have a GPS. Maybe dumb question but do we really need to burn all fuel in tank to get relevant data? Can't we readily extrapolate and avoid the risk of runnin lean?

SoCal, 1 other question. Can these stock engines hold up at WOT of 15 minutes and up? Is overheating a problem? Any special prep or maintenance advised? My air temp may vary from 90 to 65 depending on time and day of testing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information