Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Flo-Rite Install

What size hole saws do I use for the 2" and 4" flo-rites?

My 4"ers required a 4.5" hole saw bit; perfect fit. Bought the saw bit at Lowes for ~$35.

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    2 7/8" for the 2".....

hey geo whats the update on the throttle bodies? Are they still taking orders for group buy? And have you notices any differences yet on the water? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzle View Post
    James, I used a 2 1/2" hole saw to install 2" flo-rites on my ski Sat.

Scott

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzle View Post
    James, You will also have to grind the fiberglass on the inside of the hull until it is about 3/16" thick so the clips on the flo-rite will catch and hold it in. It is a messy job. I covered my motor and filter screen up with a towel and used a shop vac while I was drilling and grinding and still had to hose the dust out of the hull when I was through.

Scott

Ouch Scotty! That's one way to do it, but man what a mess. It was messy enough just drilling the original hole. For that, I taped a big garbage bag inside the hull, and that caught most of it. The fiberglass is nice and thick, but I didn't want to have an area compromised by grinding it away. The Flow-rites have three tabs that stick down from it, and each tab has a little lip off of it that's meant to clip underneath. Since the fiberglass is so think, what I did was cut off the lip of each tab, and cut away a lot of the excess fabric. The three clean tabs now fit perfectly in the hole, and I used plumber's glue to secure it to the hull.

Hope this helps-

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Ouch Scotty! That's one way to do it, but man what a mess. It was messy enough just drilling the original hole. For that, I taped a big garbage bag inside the hull, and that caught most of it. The fiberglass is nice and thick, but I didn't want to have an area compromised by grinding it away. The Flow-rites have three tabs that stick down from it, and each tab has a little lip off of it that's meant to clip underneath. Since the fiberglass is so think, what I did was cut off the lip of each tab, and cut away a lot of the excess fabric. The three clean tabs now fit perfectly in the hole, and I used plumber's glue to secure it to the hull.

Hope this helps-
    I thought about cutting the tabs and using silicone but when I drilled the holes the thickness in the holes varied a lot so I didn't want to have to try and cut tabs different lengths to match the thickness. It wasn't to bad. I didn't grind big areas just enough for tabs.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

I thought about cutting the tabs and using silicone but when I drilled the holes the thickness in the holes varied a lot so I didn't want to have to try and cut tabs different lengths to match the thickness. It wasn't to bad. I didn't grind big areas just enough for tabs.
    Oh, I see. A little Dremel tool could be used to grind away just enough in the right place to allow it to clip under; I thought you meant that you used something like a big belt sander to thin the entire area under the hole.

When you say "didn't want to have to try and cut tabs different lengths to match the thickness", I didn't have to worry about the length of the tabs. I left the tabs the length they were, I just took off the lip that allows it to clip under something. Then the Flow-rite with the remaining tabs sticking down slid right into the hole, which keeps it from moving side to side, and the glue keeps the Flow-rite from popping out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Oh, I see. A little Dremel tool could be used to grind away just enough in the right place to allow it to clip under; I thought you meant that you used something like a big belt sander to thin the entire area under the hole.

When you say "didn't want to have to try and cut tabs different lengths to match the thickness", I didn't have to worry about the length of the tabs. I left the tabs the length they were, I just took off the lip that allows it to clip under something. Then the Flow-rite with the remaining tabs sticking down slid right into the hole, which keeps it from moving side to side, and the glue keeps the Flow-rite from popping out.
    I will try that next time because I am going to add a couple more 2" and have a 2 1/2" ordered to go in the blank where the gas cap would go on the other side. You have a boat so you have to find other places to put them.

Thanks,
    Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information