Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

97 pro 785 runs good out of water but not in

Hi,
    I have a 97 pro 785 all stock, and have lately been having some problems with it. First it started off not revving all the way out only to about 68-7000 rpm, then we found the front cylinder to be getting quite a bit of water in it. There seemed to be no leaks anywhere externally and being that we didn't know the history of it being rebuilt or anything we picked up and put in a new head, exhaust manifold, exhaust valve gaskets figureing maybe one was blown. While we had it out it would rev up, idle everything fine on the trailer. So we put it in the lake and it seemed to run good for the 5 min. I rode it for, I went to ride it the other day and now its pretty much the same thing over again, and the front cylinder is getting water in it again. Any ideas on what I should be looking for because I'm kind of stumped at this point. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post, just figured the better I describe it the easier it might be to diagnose.
    Ryan

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    so u are sayin u pull the head? and u see water in the front cylinder? does it hydrolock on u??

I pulled the plugs and turned it over and some water shoots out of the front cylinder. And yes it did hydrolock on me yesterday.

so u ran it...after changing all the gaskets...it ran great....then did u trailer it? ..did u start if at home b4 u took it back out again ?.....reason im asking is that when u trailer a 785 up a ramp..water CAN go back into the cylinders from the pipes.......and yes its happened to me ..

IF thats not it....whats the compression in that cylinder?...

I only rode it for about 2 laps around my lake(small lake) when i put it back in and it ran good then, then i parked it, it never came out of the lake. Over the weekend i had some free time and took it out, thats when it hydrolocked and didn't run as well as it should. Today we lifted it out of the water on shore and got it running and it seemed like it cleaned out somewhat, alot of water came out for a while more than I think should have for it being out of water. I've read about water getting into the cylinder when you take it out on a steep ramp, could this have happened any other way? I'll check compression tommorow, I didn't have my gauge at the house today. Thanks again,
    Ryan

no it cant happen any other way....so if u didnt go up a steep ramp...water has to be comin from the cylinder itself.....the head..or the exhaust manifold/cylinder area.....

ps-- i hydrolocked mine..and it threw it out of index 4 degrees..

By knockin it out of index you mean the crank spinning right? If so I think the same thing happend to my brothers snowmobile(also a polaris fuji triple) and the cranks are splined right?

Well first i better find where the waters getting in, the only gaskets we didn't replace were the crank seals and the base gaskets but i guess we should have went throught the entire thing.
    Thanks alot, I really appreciate all the help.
    Ryan

np..i would check compression b4 tearing into it again thou..

will do, thanks man

+1
    I would think it would be more important to know if the crank is out of index more than anything else.
    If the index is out far enough the engine is getting torn down anyway.
    If it comes down, you will have all the time to check each component thoroughly. Maybe even have the stuff magna-fluxed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information