Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar

OK let's diagnose another potential problem...

So I thought my sluggish problem with the ski was due to whatever I did to the pump. Well, I fixed the pump and the problem is still there.

Here are the symptoms:

Ski starts fine and idles 1750-1850...
    I let it cruise around slowly and warm up and all seems well. It appears to want to snap but I don't let it yet. So I cruise a little bit just on plane (4000ish r's) and then decide to give it the go ahead....Nothing...

It eases up to 6200-6300 rpms very sluggishly and that's it. So I'm starting to think SC clutch when all of a sudden it just surges to 8100ish...

I can let off and get back on it and now it just rips from the hole like everything is perfectly normal...

So I go to the dock to check on some things and it sits for maybe 10 minutes. I get back on it and the symptoms repeat themselves just the same as above...

On the way back to the dock the idle gets a fairly ragged sound to it and drops 300-400 rpms plus there's suddenly a vibration present that wasn't there just a second ago...

Go out again and it does the same exact thing again for a few minutes and then it's off again just like everything's OK...

Also some times instead of just hanging between 6100-6300 rpms it'll surge between 6300-8000 up and down a few times before it just grips and rips again...

Could the clutch be starting to slip?

Anyone else experienced anything even remotely close to this? I'm not sure how to worry about it as it doesn't seem to affect anything other than briefly and then it's gone?

How is the fuel? if you checked out everything mechanically, like drive shaft/pump etc, no binding or grinding noises an such, are there any maint lites flashing?

sounds like water in fuel to me, but I could be wrong. getting up to 8100 r`s I don`t think would happen if the clutch crapped out, even if it is slipping I don`t think it would go that high.

Fuel pressure?
    Fuel filter?
    Fuel line? Let us know what you find...PR...

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Fuel filter certainly sounds like a good place to start. Hadn't thought of that...

As to the fuel. It had about a half a tank of fairly old fuel when I got it. I filled it to the top with fresh premium (93) and rode it out almost dry. Next tank I ran with injector cleaner almost dry. This is the first tank after the injector cleaner and it appeared on this tank.

Could be water in the fuel. Do these things have a fuel water seperator to check?

+1
    I would think FUel delivery or filter.

Also when a rectifier goes out it has some very similar results.
    To check it. Unplug it and go ride and see if all clears up. If it does you found it.

+1
    I had a surging problem a while ago. Have u ever sunk your doo? if so fresh, or salt? I had a problem with my MPEM, broken pin/ bad connection/ground, it also caused a rough idle. Do you have the old RR ECU? I tried fresh gas, and new plugs, and it helped a bit, but the MPEM was the culprit with my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire
    I would think FUel delivery or filter.

Also when a rectifier goes out it has some very similar results.
    To check it. Unplug it and go ride and see if all clears up. If it does you found it.

Good Idea, Water!...

I didn`t think you were supposed to put any chemicals in the fuel, especially injector cleaner and octane boost stuff ...PR...

I would now check for anything rubber related, O-rings, seals, etc...

IS THERE A FUEL FILTER ON RXP?

+1
    I think I heard someone say there was a sock, or strainer on the end of the fuel pump assy. inside the tank

+1
    Dunno if this'll help, but when my rxp was acting up it would only get into the 6,000rpm range(figured it was the clutch but wasnt sure at the time) and I rode it for like 25mins round the cove and was tryin it out because my dealer said they had fixed it and that the clutch was fine. It would hold at like 6,000rpms like something was holding it back and like every few minutes it would just suddenly jump up to speed hit 8100 then feel like it was going to die and fall back to 6000. Don't really know a lot about the sc clutch, but got a new one put on my ski and it hasnt been giving me any problems. Kinda pissed because I had this gut feeling it was the sc clutch and dealer kept telling me it couldn't have been. Also the dealer has been selling RXPs since they first came and like my ski was the first time they had replaced a sc clutch. Hopefully it'll hold up and so far i put bout 10-15hours on it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp
    I think I heard someone say there was a sock, or strainer on the end of the fuel pump assy. inside the tank
    I think there is a filter on the suction tube inside the tank...

I just checked the manual, and there is 3 clips that hold the fuel filter in place inside the fuel baffle!

The electric fuel pump assembly has to come out of the tank to access this ...PR

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information