Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crack in Gelcote inside the impeller shaft area...

right where the shaft comes out of the ski heading towards the rear. I can see a crack in the gelcote that is about 12 inches long.

I know i've read post on the area around here leaking. does it need to be ground out sanded down and re - gelcoted.

I've got the ski upside down now. So now would be the time to do it...

Probably would have to pull out the pump shoe and the ride plate, and intake grate to do it. But right now the ski's in a million pieces so whats three more

thanks

+1
    Sanding it out will not help... Inside is another story.

+1
    Sanding it out will not help... Inside is another story.32 Minutes Ago 10:29 PM
    WTF? care to elaborate?

+1
    You do not want any cracks in the gelcoat, especially in the pump tunnel. I found one there a year ago and fixed it. I did not tip the ski, did not even pull my intake grate ... just pulled the pump, cut some 5/8 oz Carbon Fiber cloth to fit the tunnel, wet it out with West Marine epoxy resin, put it in place, and rolled it out smooth. That tunnel is now virtually bullet proof ... one less thing to worry about. By the way, the carbon/epoxy is on the water side ... once it dried, I lightly sanded it, done.

exactly zo6, i wasn't going to say it. but I am capable of making a proper repair in this area I believe if it's necessary
    Last edited by yellow4; 07-09-2007 at 11:20 PM.

hey vern, is that what they mean by carbon tunnel reinforcement. that's what i hear a lot on this forum. thanks for helping explain that too me.

Do a lot of people put it around the entire tunnel area? Thanks

+1
    what I meant was jawz was......well......jawz...

+1
    Yellow, not really ... all the GPR guys eventually buy a pre-formed carbon fiber tunnel reinforcement kit (R&D makes it, lots of places sell them), but they put them INSIDE the hull, OVER the pump tunnel hump. There is nothing like that for the RXP, but we don't blow out our tunnels either ... our problems usually start with a crack in the gelcoat, then turn into a delamination, so that is why I did mine on the water side. A little messy, but really easy actually, and the peace of mind is worth a lot. Here is my process:

Tunnel reinforcement:
    • Clean tunnel with PrepSol or acetone to de-wax it.
    • Sand entire tunnel well with 60 grit sand paper for better bonding.
    • Clean thoroughly.
    • Using stiff bristle brush, brush epoxy resin all over tunnel.
    • Apply pre-cut woven carbon fiber (5.8 oz) and press into the wet epoxy. ‘Paint on’ more epoxy if needed to ensure the carbon fiber is fully saturated.
    • Using heavy plastic like a Zip loc bag, press the plastic into the resin, smoothing it out. Leave it on the resin overnight, then pull it off the next day. It should release easily.
    • If required, brush on additional epoxy resin to smooth out the finish, but it should dry very smooth by using the plastic.
    • No additional gelcoating needed, and one layer of woven carbon fiber will add lots of strength.
    • Try CST 1-800-338-1278 for the carbon fiber or other online distributors.
    • For best results, wait til temps are 60 degrees or higher.

hey Vern thanks. That's what I'm gonna have to do I think to contain that crack so that it doesn't go any further.

So Don't even bother grinding out and beveling adding new glass there and a new gel coat. I can just go over the gelcoat by sanding and applying epoxy and carbon fiber.

Hey Possible to take a pic to show? Thanks Sorry I know this post is 3 days old. If your not here I'll try to pm you Thanks again.

Vern, do you have any pics of what it looks like after you finished?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information