Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Any Nissan Xterra owners out there?

I'm on the fence and need some feedback. I'm looking at 2 2001 Nissan Xterras......

1) 2001 V6 Automatic 97000 miles $8650
    2) 2001 V6 5 speed manual 77000 miles $12000

I've never owned a Nissan. Looking for the good, bad, ugly....

Thank you!

+1
    check out xterraownersclub.com, there is lots of good information there. i have the next gen xterra so i can't comment on the 1st gen trucks too much.

i do know that they had cracked exhaust manifold problems. make sure that the recalls were done. also if you are going to be towing, i would recommend the 5 speed. the supercharged versions require premium fuel.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    I'm on the fence and need some feedback. I'm looking at 2 2001 Nissan Xterras......

1) 2001 V6 Automatic 97000 miles $8650
    2) 2001 V6 5 speed manual 77000 miles $12000

I've never owned a Nissan. Looking for the good, bad, ugly....

Thank you!
    I have an 05 Xterra and we both love it.(actually the wifes)...

I don`t think your going to get the true Xterra experience with an older model like that. the newer 4.0 V6`s kick ass, the frame is better, body wider, overall better IMHO...
    those prices sound a bit high for 6-7 year old vehicles. when new ones go for around 25+K...PR...

read up on them at these sites, then make your choice, I know there were problems with the SC V6 and other issues...

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/index.php
    http://www.xterraownersclub.com/
    try here to!
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 07-10-2007 at 12:41 PM.

+1
    Thank you for the feedback! With the price hike of gasoline again I'm now looking at Honda accords.

Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    Thank you for the feedback! With the price hike of gasoline again I'm now looking at Honda accords.
    ugh! another Honda owner jk/ing
    I get 21-23 cruising easily, not bad comsidering the X is a truck in SUV fashion ...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    ugh! another Honda owner jk/ing
    I get 21-23 cruising easily, not bad comsidering the X is a truck in SUV fashion ...PR...
    Sure does beat my truck with 12-14 mpg.

My first truck was an 86 1/2 Nissan truck, biggest piece crap. I got when it had over 500,000 miles on it. This truck was the bottom of the base model, AM radio, no A/C, no power widows, no power steering, rubber floor covering instead of carpet, and to top it off it had a 4 cylinder engine which could barely move the truck to 70 mph with a tail wind. The sad part about this truck, is I still have it. The engine is shot but that might change if I decide to fix it up.

My other vehicle (motorcycle) is a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    Sure does beat my truck with 12-14 mpg.

My first truck was an 86 1/2 Nissan truck, biggest piece crap. I got when it had over 500,000 miles on it. This truck was the bottom of the base model, AM radio, no A/C, no power widows, no power steering, rubber floor covering instead of carpet, and to top it off it had a 4 cylinder engine which could barely move the truck to 70 mph with a tail wind. The sad part about this truck, is I still have it. The engine is shot but that might change if I decide to fix it up.

My other vehicle (motorcycle) is a Honda.
    what 500,000 miles nah, no way ...PR...

If you could get into a second generation xterra, I would. The first gen is VERY rough and crude in its handling. The transmission (auto) isn't that refined either. The new ones handle better and are much smoother... I BELIEVE that the second gen starts in 02 or 03... can someone confirm that please!

Hope that helps!

had a 2000 xterra, 2004 350z, and have a 2006 xterra se......nissan is the greatest company in the world.....not one single problem

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    what 500,000 miles nah, no way ...PR...
    Actually more than 500,000, I got when it the odometer read 495,xxx and the speedometer cable was broken. I replaced the cable and it broke again 5 years later. My current truck (second) has almost 300,000 miles on it, but I am looking at replacing the motor & tranny next year. 1 thing I like about a Chevrolet truck is the engines are cheap and so are the transmission, when compared to a foreign truck. My Nissan had 2 rebuilt transmissions and 3 engines, all of this happened after I took position. The trannies where $3,000/ea for rebuild. I purchased 1 junk yard motor ($1,000), had to have it rebuilt 2 yrs later, the rebuild lasted 1 year, the machine shop did not tell me the engine block was cracked around 5 head bolts. The last motor came from the dealer, cost $4,500, the engine still runs good but 2nd gear synchronizer is shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information