Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Thinking about a 04 RXP but price seems too low

So I've been looking at getting a used PWC but don't want to spend a butt load of money on something I know very little about. I found a 04 RXP near me that someone is asking $2,800 for. But from what I can tell by shopping around is that it should be worth around $7-10K.

Am I correct in thinking that a "like new condition" 04 RXP should be worth more than $2,800? I was also told "The jet has a clear title." is this code in the PWC world for "parts of this might be hot but not all of it"? Also was told "only 27 hours on board, 215 hp." Do they make a 04 RXP with a 215 hp engine that isn't supercharged; would that lower the price of this PWC down to $2,800?

So after being told the engine is in perfect condition and it comes with the trailer I just don't see why someone would sale this for $2,800, can anyone tell me I'm being dumb and I should just go pick it up?

Also letís say I do pick it up and there are some things wrong with it that I need to fix. I'm a bit of an older car grease monkey but I haven't worked with 4 strokes very much, much less impellors and dealing with the fact it runs in water. Is working on these just stupid hard or is it something that someone who knows a wrench and is patient can figure out with the right books and enough time. Or is the cost low enough to justify taking it to a shop and letting someone else do it? Are parts for these some what easy to find at a cost that isn't going to break the bank. And what are the odds of something being broke that ends up leading to one thing broken after another turning this into a sink hole of time and money?

Thanks for any help or ideas or just remove this thread if this isn't the kind of thing you want here.

+1
    its a scam, all 04-06 rxps are 215hp supercharged....

he should be asking like 7500-9000 depending on condition with those low hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
    So I've been looking at getting a used PWC but don't want to spend a butt load of money on something I know very little about. I found a 04 RXP near me that someone is asking $2,800 for. But from what I can tell by shopping around is that it should be worth around $7-10K.2800 something sounds fishy!

Am I correct in thinking that a "like new condition" 04 RXP should be worth more than $2,800? Yes I was also told "The jet has a clear title." is this code in the PWC world for "parts of this might be hot but not all of it"? No, just means there are no liens on title. Also was told "only 27 hours on board, 215 hp." Do they make a 04 RXP with a 215 hp engine that isn't supercharged; not back in 04. would that lower the price of this PWC down to $2,800? something damaged will lower the price like that, possible SC failure...

So after being told the engine is in perfect condition and it comes with the trailer I just don't see why someone would sale this for $2,800, can anyone tell me I'm being dumb and I should just go pick it up?

Also letís say I do pick it up and there are some things wrong with it that I need to fix. I'm a bit of an older car grease monkey but I haven't worked with 4 strokes very much, much less impellors and dealing with the fact it runs in water. Is working on these just stupid hard or is it something that someone who knows a wrench and is patient can figure out with the right books and enough time. Yes, if you are mechanically inclined you can perform basic tasks and maintainence, if you need to get into the engine or SC there are specialized tools some of which are sold right here in the 4-Tec store...Or is the cost low enough to justify taking it to a shop and letting someone else do it? The dealer is never low cost..Are parts for these some what easy to find at a cost that isn't going to break the bank. And what are the odds of something being broke that ends up leading to one thing broken after another turning this into a sink hole of time and money? Very good possibility if machine has had a ceramic clutch failure and wasn`t repaired correctly...

Thanks for any help or ideas or just remove this thread if this isn't the kind... Many members here to help you out and try to answer these kinds of questions... Please take a look in our own classifieds for a ski that might fit your budget!
    Welcome to the Forum!...PR...

Question

Thanks a ton!

I'll ask if the SC has ever failed for any reason or ever been worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    From thread: help! performance went kaput
    remove rubber hose going into inlet at supercharger, insert your finger and see if you can spin the SC wheel freely, if you can than your SC is toast.
    If I do make it near it to look at it how hard do you think it would be to talk the guy into letting me see if the wheel in the SC can be spun by hand? If this is what is wrong and why it is so cheep does it really cost that much to fix or is this one of those things that just once it breaks odds are it's broken lots of other things that I'll find out about one at a time and I'll just be pissed most of the time?

Mr. B:

Ask the seller for the HIN# (Hull identification number). PM Shibby1485 with that number and he can tell you if the updates have been done, and if it was reported stolen.

If that all checks out, I would go and visit him and do a compression check, pull the supercharger intake boot off and try and spin the supercharger wheel, and then take it for a sea trial.

If after that things look fine, then write the guy a check and pick it up.

Once an awhile, you find a good deal, just go in with your eyes open and ask the right questions and take the right precautions.

Let us know how it works out!

These scams are a dima a dozen (ebay and other internet classifieds)....ask for a hull # and by no means release a deposit until you have proven this is a 'real' boat and he is the 'real' owner....and the thing really works....BUYER BEWARE...if it is too good to be true....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    Mr. B:

Ask the seller for the HIN# (Hull identification number). PM Shibby1485 with that number and he can tell you if the updates have been done, and if it was reported stolen.

If that all checks out, I would go and visit him and do a compression check, pull the supercharger intake boot off and try and spin the supercharger wheel, and then take it for a sea trial.

If after that things look fine, then write the guy a check and pick it up.

Once an awhile, you find a good deal, just go in with your eyes open and ask the right questions and take the right precautions.

Let us know how it works out!
    Quote Originally Posted by ARNYGOLLOTT3 View Post
    These scams are a dima a dozen (ebay and other internet classifieds)....ask for a hull # and by no means release a deposit until you have proven this is a 'real' boat and he is the 'real' owner....and the thing really works....BUYER BEWARE...if it is too good to be true....
    agreed to both, is this an Ebay sale? personal classified? what?...PR...

Yeah I'm not really the nicest guy in the world when it comes to me buying something to be honest. And I've never rushed into spending money so if this is a scam I'm sure I will figure it out. But I feel it's worth looking into and talking to you guys that know what your talking about incase you say something I didn't think about or flat out didn't know about.

I found it here:
    http://local.oodle.com/view/542828408/
    and
    http://classifieds.jetski.com/class2...em.asp?ID=8177
    and
    http://www.awesomeboatdeals.com/index.php?a=2&b=2041

And even if this is a scam I'm still learning about what I need to look for when I find a PWC that isn't a scam and may or may not have what I want.
    Last edited by Mr_B; 07-10-2007 at 02:22 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum !

I have to say... looking at the pics he posted... i would have to say NO!!!!

I just bought an 05 RXT off this forum.... spent at least dozens of hours finding the right one.... this is way to good to be true. If you take a close look at the situation in general.... just focus on this point.... the guy admits he bought it and didn't ride it immediately..... strange but plausible ... secondly he has some aftermarket portions to this ski that aren't cheap.... the paint job along with the aftermarket seat are worth over a grand alone..... and finally the last red flag I got is he shows no pics of the engine..... it may be perfect.... but does it come with the ski ???

I scooped mine for a little over 7 and it was in immaculate condition with TLC written all over it... lot of checks and balances before the transaction was placed..... my opinion is walk away.... scam written all over it. One of the smartest things I ever heard when in the buying process was if I got ski that was damaged and had it in the shop more than on the water... i would hate water sports and leave it completely. I would keep shopping and find one that seems right FROM ALL ANGLES.... you will find the one and when you do.... you will know..... Good Luck!!!!!

P.S. Just noticed.... the second ad is saying the ad has been deleted..... okay i guess...... but..... ummm...... right
    Last edited by jaycee; 07-10-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information