Piranha Intercooler Install and Power Filter

Alright so i got my Piranha powerkit installed last week. I have to say that it went mostly pretty well, however I was wondering if people ran into some of the same problems i have.

I got the intercooler silicone hoses that came with the kit, it appears that there is no way to keep them from hitting the hull. No matter how I mounted them, forward backward, upsidedown, whatever, they always hit the hull. When i mounted them in the position that it appears they should be from the pictures, the intercooler exit hose rubs the hull way too much. I finally compromised and mounted it in a way that appears to be backwards, but it rubs the hull less however it rubs the other intercooler hose a lot. I ended up stuffing a piece of rubber between the hose in the hull. I figure this will be ok for a few hours. This just doesnt seem right at all, is it possible the hoses i recieved did not have the right bends? Has anyone else run into this? And before you all ask, yes i notched the intercooler bracket and tried to move the intercooler all around. There simply wasnt enough adjustment. To make the hoses work as they appear to be intended, the intercooler would have to be about 1.5 inches lower in the hull.

Also i gotta say that the lips on the intercooler entrance and exits was really small. It seems that they should have made it longer so you could get a good seal. The clamps provided with the kit were wider than the lip on the intercooler. I dont see how youre supposed to get a good seal with that setup.

Other than that the kit seemed to be pretty high quality.

Also im trying to install a riva power filter in a buddies ski, but that front bracket for the tub just isnt even close at all. Its about an 1.5 inch off and angled completly wrong. Anyone else see this? or am i just looking at it retarded in the 95+ degree heat and 100% humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by bigborexpl View Post
    Alright so i got my Piranha powerkit installed last week. I have to say that it went mostly pretty well, however I was wondering if people ran into some of the same problems i have.

I got the intercooler silicone hoses that came with the kit, it appears that there is no way to keep them from hitting the hull. No matter how I mounted them, forward backward, upsidedown, whatever, they always hit the hull. When i mounted them in the position that it appears they should be from the pictures, the intercooler exit hose rubs the hull way too much. I finally compromised and mounted it in a way that appears to be backwards, but it rubs the hull less however it rubs the other intercooler hose a lot. I ended up stuffing a piece of rubber between the hose in the hull. I figure this will be ok for a few hours. This just doesnt seem right at all, is it possible the hoses i recieved did not have the right bends? Has anyone else run into this? And before you all ask, yes i notched the intercooler bracket and tried to move the intercooler all around. There simply wasnt enough adjustment. To make the hoses work as they appear to be intended, the intercooler would have to be about 1.5 inches lower in the hull.

Also i gotta say that the lips on the intercooler entrance and exits was really small. It seems that they should have made it longer so you could get a good seal. The clamps provided with the kit were wider than the lip on the intercooler. I dont see how youre supposed to get a good seal with that setup.

Other than that the kit seemed to be pretty high quality.

Also im trying to install a riva power filter in a buddies ski, but that front bracket for the tub just isnt even close at all. Its about an 1.5 inch off and angled completly wrong. Anyone else see this? or am i just looking at it retarded in the 95+ degree heat and 100% humidity?
    Hi BIGBORE,

First did you cut the Silicone Hoses to length? They are made approx 1 inch longer @ each end for fitting convenience.

I have not heard of this fitting problem you are having I run the Piranha intercooler and pipes and have personaly installed more than 20 kits.

The Clamps provided in the Kit are 100% Stainless Steel and custom
    made by PIRANHA-PARTS and i think they are the best available on the market.
    Just make sure you push the silicone hose on the Intercooler all the way then clamp it close to the End! We run 25lbs of Boost and they dont come loose or leak for us

If your hoses are rubbing i suggest you zip tie a small pc of rubber around the area to stop it happening

I spoke with the Owner John today and they have made improvements to the bracket and dropped it approx 1-1/2 inches already to suit the 07 RXT....He said they have a new design Silicone hose coming in the near future with a Stainless Steel wire moulded inside for the Big BOOST guys like me...

Somthing to look out for
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICS 008.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	31039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICS 009.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	31040  
    Last edited by US PERFORMANCE; 07-10-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Yea i cut the hoses to length to get rid of any kinks. The length is not the problem, its the bend on the hose from the the throttle body to the intercooler just isnt right. It rubs against the hull no matter how you have it. I even notched the intercooler bracket to get the whole unit to sit lower in the hull. Even so i still need it to go about another 1 inch or so lower.

I agree theres nothing wrong with the clamps, they are fine if you are using them on the supercharger or throttle body ends, but they are just too fat to work well on the intercooler. I used thinner hose clamps, but even now i dont feel as if i have a good seal.

How many different runs of hoses are there? I wonder if i just got a bad run because they just dont fit right. They fit poorly actually. Pieces of rubber had to be used to prevent rubbing

Thread Information