WEAR RING..... An Easy Job..

Installing this stainless wear ring from riva (purchased threw greenhulk) was a piece of cake..

a total of 12 bolts to be loosened.. actually easier than the instructions and not quite the same as the jetski..

The freezer trick to remove the old wear ring works like a charm..

I did have a tough time getting the new ring in..... it went half way in and stopped.. nothing a large hammer and a block of wood couldnt finish..

Cant wait to try it out tommaro and see if it fixed all of my cavatation problems..

Thanks everyone..

Brian

can you give us an idea of the background of your mechanical skills so we can relate this task to our abilities?

Sounds like a good way to $ave on a trip to the $tealership.

I am an auto tech... but to be honest... if you can change your own oil you can change your wear ring.. Its that easy..

Put new wear ring into the freezer for 1-2 hours!(do this before you start)

#1 simply remove the reverse bucket including the shift cable(need 13mm socket+ratchet and 3/8 wrench for the cable)

#2 remove the steering cable linkage (2-10mm wrenches)

#3 remove the 4 bolts to the large bracket and remove bracket (6mm allen head socket and ratchet)

#4 remove the remaining 4-17mm large bolts from the pump to hull and remove the pump housing (17mm socket 12" extention and ratchet)

Stick pump housing into freezer for an hour (this makes the ring shring) and it will practically fall out..

Stick pump housing into the sun and when its warm simply slide in the new (ICE COLD) wear ring!

Lastly reverse installation using blue locktight on all bolts making sure all surfaces are tight and apply a thin coat of silicone sealant and make sure not to over tighten them (really it takes 10min to get apart and 10min to get back together once you get the ring back into the housing)
    Last edited by welterracer; 07-11-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    What about the black sealent that seals the pump to the hull? Don't you have to remove all of the old sealent and run a beed of new Permatex right stuff?
    I just remember when looking at mine there looks like a large beed of black sealent between the pump and hull. Thanks for any info...

Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    What about the black sealent that seals the pump to the hull? Don't you have to remove all of the old sealent and run a beed of new Permatex right stuff?
    I just remember when looking at mine there looks like a large beed of black sealent between the pump and hull. Thanks for any info...
    pump and hull??? do you mean pump support/shoe and hull? the pump itself should come off with 4 bolts/nuts...PR...

I think you only have to remove the pump from the support fixture.

And the support fixture is the one that is selaed to the hull, so you shouldn't have to reach the hull of the boat, you just have to stop at the support fixture only.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    Ok I see now you guys are right...Thanks for the info

Thread Information