EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

So who all is running around with open loop cooling these days?

I've had all the parts for the open loop cooling for months now, just never did it or had a reason to yet since i have a stock rideplate... bought it for the GPRXP project, but that's on hold for a little bit while i'm in search for a good hull for the project.

so has anyone else recreationally gone to open loop (besides jerry, dan, mark, joe, daniel, etc) .... or this is still intimidating territory for most?

i'm about sick of antifreeze and black hoses going everywhere and leaky Riva thermostats... thinking about just throwing the kit on my RXP even tho i have no "performance" oriented reason to do it

ROTAX RACING performance
    +1
    just get a ROTAX RACING termostat, no leaks

+1
    I`ll never run open loop. Thats one of the main reasons I bought this ski because of closed loop cooling. I`m staying with no thermo.

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    Hoss, why do you run with no thermostat? Is there not a low enough temp thermo available? Also, what temp does your ski run without the thermo. I've just noticed that most engines actually make less power if you over cool them.

Just curious.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    I've just noticed that most engines actually make less power if you over cool them.

Just curious.....
    this is true especially if fuel delivery is determined by factoring in coolant temps, like on some cars if you run a cooler thermo it runs really rich and can burn holes in pistons which i have seen....

i run the rotax unit in my ski...

+1
    The water down here is usually in the mid 80`s. Once that thermo opens it never closes again till the ski is at my house cooled down. So the thermo did nothing for me down here.
    Now running too cool of amotor will not let the pistons get to normal operating temp. Meaning by design of piston "swell". This will cause the piston to excessively wear the walls causing blow by and an eventual bore job (with all associated parts) to be done.

Down here its not an issue for me. And no,,,,,the coolant doesn`t flow too FAST in the system. Proper heat exchange is there. This ain`t for everyone. You need to look at water temps in your area. I never ride in the winter.

Using a reducer (or gutted thermo) would yeild nothing since the orifice in housing is the same exact of thermo. See my pics posted somewhere on how to do this.

+1
    meeper, the burned holes in the pistons were from Lean/Hot cond., not Rich/cool......and yes..things like coolant temp sensor play a major role in A/F commanded ratio and sometimes even limit rpm untill a certain temp is seen. Like Hoss said, not for everyone, but it is for me.

Thread Information