Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2002 + Carb insulator ---Huh

Looks to me like a insulator/plate was added on the intake side to the 2002 + 1200 skis (XLT included). It is item number 2 in the 2nd pic (not present in the 2nd pic).

Obviously it acts as a spacer but why would they of added it ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2001_intake.gif 
Views:	64 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	31121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002_intake.gif 
Views:	61 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	31122  

+1
    I think it's for heat insulation. We've all ditched it. One less place for an air leak.

+1

Hmmmmm...???

Ok carb Guru's...

Keep it..?? or Bin it..??

My carbs or going back on in the morning..!!!

opinions please..!!

Gerry..

If you remove it you need to compensate for the 5mm longer carb bolts. 2002 GPR carbs bolts are longer than some 2001 ones.

Back in 2000 Yamaha received complains about ski's in the southern states with carbs that were dry of fuel after riding and sitting for a while. Yamaha figured out that the engine heat was evaporating the fuel, so they adapted this piece to isolate the carbs from crankcase heat. With the removal of your Cat- Con you dramtically recude engine compartment temperature, that may be why many of us did not have that problem. Some 2001 skis and all of 2002 have this plate. Also if you ditch the insulation spacer adopt the 2000 carb manifold spongie gasket instead of the paper one.
    Last edited by Fercho; 07-14-2007 at 02:48 PM.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    I ditched it when I went to the vf-3s. Just another leak.

Will "spacer" prevent the "stickythrottle" shafts problem?

Hey fellow tinkerers....

Just crusin thru some older threads and found fernco's explanation for the spacer plates starting in the 01/02' gpr's and was wondering if this is all its for or will it also help prevent the "sticky throttles" syndrome

FERCHO 7-13-07:
    Back in 2000 Yamaha received complains about ski's in the southern states with carbs that were dry of fuel after riding and sitting for a while. Yamaha figured out that the engine heat was evaporating the fuel, so they adapted this piece to isolate the carbs from crankcase heat. With the removal of your Cat- Con you dramtically recude engine compartment temperature, that may be why many of us did not have that problem. Some 2001 skis and all of 2002 have this plate. Also if you ditch the insulation spacer adopt the 2000 carb manifold spongie gasket instead of the paper one.

I'm planning on adding this plate to our 99xll and our 00gpr as part of the "fix" to prevent the "sticky throttle" situation with the carbs from comming up again. Is this still a good idea? I see suggestions for deleting this entirely (and going back to the old type gasket setup to eliminate just one more source for air leaks I guess) when removing the catcon and installing D-plate.

It looks like we have the "spongie" manifold gasket material on the back side of the reed plate, can I use this with the additional plastic spacer? Or do I remove it to install the more solid gasket material ones I orderd with the longer bolts off the boats.net website....

Thanks for the help again fella's!

+1
    If you would have brought this back to the top a few months ago I would have sent you my spacer and the bolts for free.... but they ended up in the trash...sorry.

I've never heard of the spacer being any good for anything...

+1
    The spacer was designed to help with dissipating heat away from the carbs.

It serves no purpose other than that.

"Sticky" throttles...you can go buy a good cable lubricator from your local Yamaha dealer and periodically lube your cables. it does help keep them looser and lubricated for smoother operation.

Also make sure you spray your cable wheel on the #1 carb with silicone spray..it helps to keep it running smoothly also. I do this on every ski I have because we live in saltwater country...and it gets everywhere.

Does the Heat cause sticky throttle shafts?

Hey fella's,

Trying to decide to add the insulator plate to our 99' & 00' 1200's.

My problem w/the sticky throttle was the shaft on #2 carb siezing up after engine would shut down. Bushings, not a cable problem. I've taken care of the problem now and am re-assembling but thought that installing the 02' version "spacer plate" and longer bolts would help prevent this problem from ever occuring again.

What's the verdict, I would like to hear everyone's professional opinion before I continue.

Thanks for yall's input!

Juat an FYI...Not all 2002 GPR's came with this plate.......I have a 2002 GPR that I bought brand spakin new and it didn't have this plastic spacer plate.

-Jon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information