Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Big Mods & Low Octane Fuel... tell me more

RXT with stuff like RR ECU, air intake, exhaust, Intercooler, and a Supercharger mod TBD.... obviously i'll fill with 93 octane whenever I can...

BUT... what happens when i take my long rides and need to fill up on the water and there's ONLY 89 octane or 91 octane fuel available? ... 91 doesn't scare me so much, but 89?

Will the ski compensate and save itself, or am i screwed?

if there's one thing that i'm still oblivious to in this sport, it's definitely the concepts of timing, octane, detonation, and that kinda stuff... Gotta get a book from the library oneday and teach myself more.

So fill me in if i have big reason to worry about those mods listed above with lower octane fuel if it's my only option

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Biggest things to worry about:

Does this motor have a knock sensor and if so does adding the RR ECU alter the parameters to the point to where the engine operates outside of the range the knock sensor is capable of compensating?

Obviously you're putting your faith in a electrical component but...

Now if there's no knock sensor (especially knowing the RR ECU "ups the wick" so to speak) then I'd lean towards "SCREWED"

+1
    well with the 05 skis.. there IS a knock sensor integrated into the harness... so mine is still intact... guess the question is if the ECU operates in a range that still lets the knock sensor function properly?

damn... this could suck

+1
    Steve, that is partly why I asked for Nitro's input on the other thread ... the motors have knock sensors and I don't think the RR ECU disables that, so that will help. If you have to fill up with 89 I think you will be OK as long as you don't run it hard ... that motor will run fine on lower octane IF you keep it out of boost and really just cruise. I would be very cautious about running it hard (full throttle for more than a couple seconds, if that) with low octane tho ... just my 2 cents worth.

+1
    well what's "cruise" and keeping it out of boost... so cranking at WOT and boosting is 8400ish RPMS... let's say in my case with an RXT 73 mph for arguments sake...

can i run it at lets say 60-65 mph for a few mile stretch (GUESSING that's about 7500 rpms, but i wouldn't know honestly) with 89 octane...

damn, this is really going to motivate me to learn more about tuning and detonation and timing and whatnot. I wish i could understand more of it.

I carry 2 bottles of Amsoil octane boost with me at all times. A bottle will raise a tank a full 2 RON points. If you can't/don't want Amsoil (so I don't get accused of turning this into a sales pitch because I make sooo much profit on sales) - get the NOS brand. All the other stuff you can get in the states is crap.

Otherwise, stay out of the boost. Best way to tell that is to have a boost gauge....well really the best thing to do is have an *accurate* A/F gauge. The Autometer units suck - they're basically a light show. The Innovate unit that Jerry bought is top notch. Another good company for an A/F gauge is AEM - I prefer it because it is round and can fit in a 2-1/16" opening.

And remember partial throttle isn't always better. Most fuel curves run a bit richer at WOT than at partial throttle to be 'safe' so by running at boost but under partial throttle you could actually be doing more damage than good if they aren't adding enough fuel and adding too much timing.

A ski that is running mid 70s should have a colder plug as well - this will help against detonation.

+1
    i'm running the Denso IXU 27s already ...

Pete, ultimately, it's the hudson rides that are in question. when i ride near my house, i typically ride until the tank is empty and call it quits for the day. But up and down the hudson it's really just 89 octane if i recall correctly? gonna call a few gas stations up over next few weeks and plot some pit stops and refueling and see who has what fuel.

I guess at this point i should just break down and drop the 300 sometin bucks on those two guages, boost and A/F ... will certianly let me know a little more of whats giong on inside the engine

Here's a stupid question. Is there is any warning on the instrument panel when computer detects too low an octane level? Would it throw a code when the timing is backed off as far as allowed and the a/f ratio is as rich as possible?

shibster get the book "Maximum boost" by corkey bell. Very good reading. I'd loan you mine but shipping back and fourth would probably cost more then the book.

+1
    Check out the products at www.bndautomotive.com call and talk to Bryan the owner like I did and now I use all his products in everything from my weedwacker to my skis to my sport trac! Great products and shibby the fuel catalist will work for you in that situation with the lower octane fuel!
    Not trying to sell you his products but just sharing my great experience.
    Tell him Kerry from Oklahoma sent ya a calling and you wont be sorry for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information