Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Engine Locked Up. What are my options?

I have a 99 GSX limited that sat for 2 years. Brought it to a shop to get it running and was told that the engine is locked up. I have done some research on rebuilt engines and I havent found anyone on the net that seems to be very good. My local shop told me 2400 for a complete rebuild. I am curious to know how difficult it would be to rebuild the engine myself. I am pretty mechanically inclined(changed out the camshaft, springs, rods, and other mechanical parts in my truck.) If this is possible without the need of professional experience and tools are there any writeups on parts I would need and or install instructions? I dont know the extent of the damage other than it is locked up. The ski ran perfect the last time out. Thank you for your help.

Mike

Banned User
    Sorry to hear about your ski!! Welcome to the forum.. If your a motor guy and have the time, why not? I just don't have the time, wish I did.
    Check with SBT or someone else concerning the price of a short block then do the rest yourself

I had a similar situation with a 97 gsx, ski sat for five yrs, locked up tight. Pulled the motor, sent the core to SBT for exchange on a premium package (2 yr no fault warranty) put the motor in last fall, got about 30 hrs on it so far, so good, that package ran about 1300 with shipping if i remember right. Do rebuild your carbs, and clean your fuel system either way....BigT

+1
    Sounds like to me the rings have seized to the cylinder wall, this happens a lot to old tractors that have sit for several years. Try a good penetrating lubricant and spray into each cylinder and let it go to work, after several hrs try to turn the engine over manual with a cheeter bar.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    Sounds like to me the rings have seized to the cylinder wall, this happens a lot to old tractors that have sit for several years. Try a good penetrating lubricant and spray into each cylinder and let it go to work, after several hrs try to turn the engine over manual with a cheeter bar.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. If I am able to get movement, what would my next step be? Should I try and start it? New rings? What should I be looking for in terms of other possible damage? Thanks again.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I would think you could get a ring kit for it and have the cylinders honed if it's just froze up. Probably should of put this in the 2-stroke section where it would get more attention.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cretamk View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. If I am able to get movement, what would my next step be? Should I try and start it? New rings? What should I be looking for in terms of other possible damage? Thanks again.
    You want to be able to turn the engine over without using the starter, and check for hard spots or spots that are don't feel right. Once everything checks out, do a compression test. If the compression test is OK, start it and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    You want to be able to turn the engine over without using the starter, and check for hard spots or spots that are don't feel right. Once everything checks out, do a compression test. If the compression test is OK, start it and enjoy.
    Thanks a lot cbrich and everyone. I sprayed some SeaFoam fluid into the spark plug holes and screwed the spark plugs back in. Should I take the plugs out or leave them the way they are? Should I take the cover off and spray directly into the cylinders? Which direction should I be turning the engine over manually?

also: automatic transmission fluid works really good to! do like cbrich said and let it really soak...you wanna remove the plugs when turning by hand, and when it`s really free and no binding at all, keep plugs out, make sure plug wires are grounded, place rag over plug holes and crank it over with the starter, this will blow out most of whatever lube you are using...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    also: automatic transmission fluid works really good to! do like cbrich said and let it really soak...you wanna remove the plugs when turning by hand, and when it`s really free and no binding at all, keep plugs out, make sure plug wires are grounded, place rag over plug holes and crank it over with the starter, this will blow out most of whatever lube you are using...PR...
    Thanks again. Does it matter which direction I should be turning the engine over manually? I dont want to screw anything up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information