Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Gas in intake drain tube

This one has me puzzled. Tonight after riding this afternoon I checked my oil to see if it was rising as I rode it. It looks like I have gained 1/2 quart of level in 15 hours of riding.

Now, for the interesting part and I have no explanation for. I pulled my drain tube on the intake to see if anything had accumulated. I had some accumulation, but nothing major. The liquied was semi clear. It did not look like water and definetly not oil. I poored it on my fingers to feel it and smell the liquid. It was gas.

So any ideas on how it got there?

Drain Tube

Mine had a water-gas-oil mix. I could really smell the gas in it though. I am also experiencing the engine studdering 3 or 4 times when I punch the throttle from a dead stop. I don't know why the gas oil in the tube or the studder. I also need help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post

The liquied was semi clear. It did not look like water and definetly not oil. I poored it on my fingers to feel it and smell the liquid. It was gas.

So any ideas on how it got there?
    Probably a mixture of water and oil. Gas smell came from the oil. Fuel dilution is normal on force inducted engines due to blowby. Oil level also increases due to fuel dilution.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEBEE View Post
    Mine had a water-gas-oil mix. I could really smell the gas in it though. I am also experiencing the engine studdering 3 or 4 times when I punch the throttle from a dead stop. I don't know why the gas oil in the tube or the studder. I also need help on this.

Your oil is diluted with fuel. Stuttering might be caused by a bad plug. Check your plugs and oil level. Oil level will rise quickly(fuel going past the piston rings) if 1 cylinder is dead or not firing completely. Have seen this on one of our units.

+1
    It may have been oil and water, but it felt, looked and smelled like gas. I have no explanation for this. I have built and worked on FI cars for a long time and this engine gets more fuel in the oil than any I have ever seen.

I am beginning to think it is a product of the low off boost compression. I think this 7.8 compression is one of the biggest contributors to poor gas mileage and fuel in the oil. It basically sucks for efficiency and complete combustion. Really 7.8 is pathetic even for a FI engine.

Jason
    Last edited by spaulding; 07-11-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Suck out a bit of oil from your engine and check if it's thin and diluted with gas. Hard to see this if you just check on your dipstick.

Diluted

Quote Originally Posted by mitch ochoa View Post
    Suck out a bit of oil from your engine and check if it's thin and diluted with gas. Hard to see this if you just check on your dipstick.
    I removed some oil about a quart and a half a day before the studdering started. After the studdering I put the Iridium plugs in and still studder. Should I change the oil now if the oil has thined out do to fuel?

Check the cause of the problem first. Check plug wires and ignition coils. Better to send your ski to your dealer to check for sensor troubles and solve the root cause. How many hours has it taken since your last oil change?

Do you smell unburnt gas on your exhaust while engine is running?
    Last edited by mitch ochoa; 07-11-2007 at 09:47 PM.

19 hours

Quote Originally Posted by mitch ochoa View Post
    Check the cause of the problem first. Check plug wires and ignition coils. Better to send your ski to your dealer to check for sensor troubles and solve the root cause. How many hours has it taken since your last oil change?

Do you smell unburnt gas on your exhaust while engine is running?
    I have 19 hours on it. I have not done a oil change on it yet. I guess I will bring it in to dealer. I haven't smelled the exhaust yet I will on next ride or on the hose. Thanx for your help Mich. By the way you have some beautiful sceanery over there. I wish I had my ultra when I was over there in Subic Bay in the mid 80's while I was in the U.S. Navy. Thanx again.

Change your oil.

+1
    Supercharged engines have significantly more blowby than non-boosted engines. Due to a richer air/fuel mixture and the additional cylinder pressure from the boost, more gas is forced past the piston rings, and ends up in the oil. The PCV systems on boosted motors will get much more blowby ... I have a catch can on my RXP and after a few hours of hard riding, there is an ounce of blowby in the can.

JWilson is right, it is 90% gasoline ... last weekend I drained my blowby into a cheap plastic cup. I set it on the dock for five minutes, went to pick it up, and the bottom was gone, completely eaten out. Oil and water will not do that. Blowby is gas that has been forced past the piston rings, and was extracted by the PCV/crankcase vent system primarily as vapor, then settles in the tube/catch can as gas again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information