Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building a Beach on Lake

Anyone have any experiance building a beach?

I have decided I would like to make a beach on my lake front property. It has a small seawall now but I figured I would just build in front of it or bury it a bit. I do have some questions that I have not been able to find out online.

I live in south florida.

What is the best type of sand to use?

I assume I just dump it in and pack it down a bit that is about it. I can figure out the amount of sand I need but I have not been able to find any pricing online. Any websites with pricing?

I am also thinking I will need a permit for it but I am not sure.

Any advise?

Hey Jack,

To do that legally, yeah..you will probably need a permit. You would go to your local planning and zoning office to get that ball rolling. Unless you have neighbors that will point you out I'd bypass the legal stuff because all they will do is have you spend more money and jump through more hoops than its worth to even have a small beach. I've done my share of marine construction and without knowing the depth, bottom type, degree of slope, seawall height and current (if any) it would be difficult to know what you need to make it work. Hope this helps.

when we goin' to the bahamas?

rxpfun

One of the first things you need to do is to determine the "energy" or force of the waves hitting the area you intend to build on. As RXPfun stated, you need to know depth, bottom type slope and also wave energy to determine if sand will even stay in place. If the energy is too high the sand will erode out, sometimes in a matter of days. Best advice is do your homework first, then look into permiting. The fines for doing wrong are huge. You can search the internet and find info on calculating wave energy.

Thanks Guys, There are no waves where I am. I am sure there are some local company to give me an estimate and I can pick thier brains.

As far as going to the bahamas, I was out last weekend in 2 to 3 foot waves and I was thinking about if I was to just head straight out how long before I hit the bahamas. I really was only able to go about 30 to 35 mph (dreamometer speed). So if we didnt stop for anything it would only take a couple of hours.

It will be a hard ride even on a nice day like last weekend and of couse once you hit the gulf stream it is worse.

My vote is that you guys take the ride and give me a report so that I know if I should do it next year on the annual bahama run! I cant see doing it without some sort of support vessel and a lot of planning.

I was thinking, although it needs to be planned very well, everyone would have to be able to leave in a day or two notice depending on the weather forecasts. And then coming back is a big gamble. The water can get very big out there!

I have been thinking a lot about it but that may be all I'll do with it for now.

It does sound like a really cool thing to do.

In Maine, you cannot touch the shoreline of any lake, stream, pond, or coast. Period. The law reads it is illegal to move one rock, no matter what the size. To many tree huggers up here. My Grandfather and I made a beautiful concrete ramp for launching boats and so forth and we didn't even get it half way in the water and the EPA were pulling in. This ramp would protect the shoreline from erosion rather then hurt it, but that is the law around this state. Good luck, oh and by the way the fine was $1900 back in 1999.

+1
    Florida Rally Series is planning a trip to Bimini....think its around 1500 a person...

http://www.sea-doo.net/board/thread.asp?threadid=81220

What does the $1500 include ??

+1
    Not quite sure.....I know it does include hotel accomidations though...

+1
    Jack, the other posts are dead on ... Dept of Natural Resources (or whatever it is in your state) and the EPA will paddle you like a canoe if you try to mess with lake/shoreline. But ... I have a thought for you IF you built a sandbox right near the edge and some sand kinda blew into the lake from time to time (happens at night sometimes I hear, craziest thing ), well ... all depends on how much is needed, how picky or nosy your neighbors are, etc. Not that I personally know anybody who would do such a thing of course .... But, be very careful no matter what you do, the fines can be stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat
    Florida Rally Series is planning a trip to Bimini....think its around 1500 a person...
    Ken, you going? According to google earth, from Miami to Bimini look like it is about 35 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern
    IF you built a sandbox right near the edge and some sand kinda blew into the lake from time to time (happens at night sometimes I hear, craziest thing
    Oh yeah, Accidently 20 cubic yards of sand just happened to fall in the lake!

There are some others that have beaches. I wil look into it. No neighbors can see me, it is very secluded. From the lake of course you can see it but I am in a secluded part of the lake too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information