96 sl900 no spark (what else?)

I've read past posts til I fell asleep in the chair! Checked stator specs, swapped out CDI and Coil from running SLTX, Kill switch OK, Fuses OK, Breaker Ok, trim motor runs when direct wired but nothing from the switch, why won't the trim switch work? Only thing that doesn't check is the Oil sending unit, wide open circuit. Also the fuel tank is empty but sender checks OK. Will faulty oil sender kill power to coils or no gas in tank kill power? MFD appears to work, red light flashes and FUEL is on the screen, if it was faulty would it kill the spark? Oh, wait I put the MFD from the SLTX on it too. Tomorrow will swap in the regulators and oil sender from the SLTX to see what happens. At wits end with this thing!!! Sure hope someone has an answer!

Thanks from SUNNY AZ. (11PM and 100 degrees outside)

The oil and fuel senders will not kill the spark, they will however limit your rpm to 4000ish. You can disconnect the grey wire from the regulator and it will bypass it. Hopefully ph20 will have some ideas for you to try. Do you know if it has the updated electrical stator and CDI?

Cornman,

Welcome to the Green Hulk!

What is your battery voltage while cranking? Use a volt meter not the mfd.

Also, I don't think that the trim will work if the engine is not running (someone correct me if I am wrong) unless you hold down on the bildge pump button while operating the trim button. Let us know what you find.

Good luck,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    What is your battery voltage while cranking? Use a volt meter not the mfd.

Also, I don't think that the trim will work if the engine is not running (someone correct me if I am wrong) unless you hold down on the bildge pump button while operating the trim button. Let us know what you find.
    Good call...battery voltage needs to be over 10.5v when cranking, or the plugs WILL NOT fire. The trim only works when the engine is running.

Thanks all. Battery is new and fully charged but I will check while cranking. Do regulators go bad? The stator looks as new, with 2000 build date, has several of the posts or windings not covered or wrapped, the old one has red plastic filler all wound or wrapped. CDI has new superceded part #. Came from running 96 SLTX. Can I believe the wiring schematic in my Clymers manual? For both SL900 and SLTX (96) it has the yellow stator wire going to the pink wires on the MFD and regulator, and the pink fuel sender going to black on regulator and MFD, and the tan temp sensor going straight into the R/Pr (power) of the MFD. The SL780, SLT780, and SLX780 diagrams don't mix colors and correspond with what I have. What gives? I'm now starting to dream of wire diagrams and bending over that black hole with the monster inside!

+1
    See if this matches yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manual Appendix.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	521.3 KB 
ID:	31231  

+1
    Can you give us part numbers of the components? It sound to me like you're trying to use old stuff with the new updated kit and that won't work, not even for testing purposes.

If you check out the tech section under Domestic Electrical you can see how the coils and stators differ. Check post 9 for the correct part numbers that come with the updated kit in the 900's.

OK, here goes. Schematic looks like my Clymer SL 780, etc. The CDI I put in is 4060137 (From running parted SLTX) because the part # was correct. However it must be old, no com port. The CDI that was originally in the 900 is PN 4010379, red plastic with com port next to leads. Some used parts guy wrote 4010447 on the back with one of those white paint markers. I also swapped out the coil cause it had the "right" number, 4060153. The Coil originally in it was 105-553-03 with longer leads. The engine was supposedly rebuilt before I bought it 2 years ago. Super clean inside f/w housing, like new f/w, stator like new, compression 135 lbs all cylinders. Ski had weak spark and trouble getting up to speed from day one. Poor battery too I think, using the trim would kill it in no time at all. After all I did for two days, I checked the spark plug wires and found that the boots were not even screwed onto the wires, not even a hint of the screw penetrating the wire!!! Just pushed on and zip tied!! AAAHHH!! I just knew I had fixed it! Put it all together, and.....NO SPARK!!! Going to replace the CDI and Coil back to original and recheck stator while all is undone. Any other thoughts? Thanks again

Thanks
    Last edited by azcornman; 07-12-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Eureka!! We have spark!! Replaced the CDI and Coil back to original and wvalla! Feel very stupid or embarassed to think all that was probably wrong was the guy that overhauled it didn't know how to screw on the boots and I didn't think to check!! And I missed riding all last summer AND almost sold it last week for parts for $250. Hope I don't have to tear down the carbs because of the gas left there since last year! We'll see.

Thanks so much to all that helped me out! I Never would have known about the upgraded ignition and my mismatching with older parts. This forum is awesome. Thanks again so very much!

azcornman

+1
    Might I suggest going through the carbs?
    They are going to have crap everywhere (pay special attention to in and around the internal filters), you don't want to come back and have to ask why you don't have full RPM's do you?

Thread Information