Twig Jams Impeller

I got a twig jammed in my impeller & had to get towed in tonight. Would like to ask a couple of questions.

How often does this happen to you because it seems to happen to me quite frequently.

Does the custom intake grate reduce the chances of sucking up debris?

Can I safely try & pull this twig down from intake grate without taking anything apart?

As soon as I heard cavitation I stopped but can you safely try & blow out debris like this by flooring it?

Is there still no mesh or screen that will work with an intake grate?

Thanks for any help. BTW I know that silicone is bad & will fix next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twig Stuck in Impeller Vashon 018.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	31218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twig Stuck in Impeller Vashon 2 004.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	31219  

Wink

That`s a little more than a twig...
    Yes you can remove it without major T/D through the intake and jet nozzle.
    Nothing to prevent this except the operator. Don`t run into debris patches....
    Thankfully I have never had this happen to me. We get some major debris during the first month of the riding season....

Thanks Big Red. I seem to find these twigs no matter how vigilant. Whats your take on the whether the aquavein increases or decreases risk of sucking up debris? I hope the prop isnt tweaked. BTW I said twig cuz I didnt want you to think I exaggerate stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Thanks Big Red. I seem to find these twigs no matter how vigilant. Whats your take on the whether the aquavein increases or decreases risk of sucking up debris? I hope the prop isnt tweaked. BTW I said twig cuz I didnt want you to think I exaggerate stuff.
    are you saying you have an aftermarket peformance intake grate?

if so, most of those allow MORE water in with less restriction (hence the added performance). That can cause more problems like you are having.

Quote Originally Posted by dreww View Post
    are you saying you have an aftermarket peformance intake grate?

if so, most of those allow MORE water in with less restriction (hence the added performance). That can cause more problems like you are having.
    dreww, I was thinkin that the riva or r&d intake grate may increase water flow to pump and better screen out debris (like that twig) due to its shape but I dont know because Ive never owned one. I'd buy the grate if it just reduced the risk of suckin up debris by 20% even if true performance gains were minimal. I think that the guy who invents some type of grate that screens debris but does not affect performance will do well. I should mention that these twigs have been my achilles heel whether on Kawi or SD. This last twig did just pull out with no damage but on the RXP the same size twig almost always shredded the plastic wear ring which added to repair cost. We just have a lot of these twigs in the water I guess. Thanks for your input and great photo avatar!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R&D Aquavein Intake Grate.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	31847  

+1
    Welcome to the world of watercraft, not being a smarty at all!!

After time, you can develop techniques to clear twigs, plastic bottle caps, sea grass, ducks, RXTs', Wild chickens, etc...

Play with the reverse gate. Turn the ski off. Bounce up and down on the rear of the ski, with the lanyard disconnected. Do it again with the reverse gate down. Crawl underneath and feel up/inside the grate area. Floor it. Try turning the nozzle, etc...whatever works for you.

Worst case is usually pull the grate or pump, and pull out the offending piece.

If you want to ride watercraft, this is just a part of life....

and aftermarket intake grates are usually 20x worse than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Welcome to the world of watercraft... If you want to ride watercraft, this is just a part of life....and aftermarket intake grates are usually 20x worse than stock.
    Thanx HToys for checkin in. I was lookin to verify whether my experience was that unusual & whether the special intake grate would help and you answered both questions. I rented an RXP several times last summer and had a ball but sucked up a twig 2 or 3x and shredded the wear ring while cruisin into the marina at high tide. It got to the point where I would walk into the SD store and the guys there would stand 4 or 5 ft away from me, cuz they knew that if a ceilin tile was goin to randomly fall it would either hit me or come very close. When it happened on the Kawi I thought I was jinxed. I do have to fess up and say this latest incident happened while I was puttering around in a debris strewn bay taking photos of jelly fish. Maybe that recent advice, to lay off the camera a tad & focus on readin & ridin was good after all!

Thread Information