Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 GP1300R - How to make it better???

Hey guys, I have a 04 GP that's currently bone stock. I run at sea level in both flat and choppy conditions. I'm looking into mods that will increase all around performance: hole shot, acceleration, handling, and top end. One concern is that I don't want to drastically hurt one area to gain a little in another (e.g. lose considerable handling in chop to attain a 1 mph top end) as some things might trade off to much. Also I'm not interested in doing major engine work (e.g. heads, boring, ....) as that is too costly and causes increased maintenance; reliability is the key for me. I don't need the best or fastest boat, just interested in what relatively simple things that could make a recreational boat noticeably better. The GP is a damn fine from the factory but Iím sure there are a few things that can, and probably should, be done. From pouring over tons of posts I've come up with three phase plan to be implented as money and time allows.

Phase One
    Seal the pump (not sure if you need a kit for this or not)
    Step the sponsons.
    Remove Cat & Install D-Plate
    Install Race Air Filter

Phase Two
    Install R&D (after it's been modified) ride plate
    Install Jet Works kit (with stealth mod)
    Install intake grate (800 or 1200?)

Phase Three
    Install Solas Dynafly impeller (not sure about pitch)
    Install VC3 Reeds

My question is does this seem like a sound plan and will each of the above mods actually make an improvement? Do I need an EFI controller to retune the motor? If I get 5mph more top end, I'll be happy, anything else it bonus. If the answer with any particular mod is to stay stock, that's fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16309

Here is a GREAT thread to get you started with speed mods.

Edit: It looks like everything that you have planned is in the correct order.

The 1200 grate is a better all around grate. The 800 will give you just a little more speed but it will cavitate out of the hole more than the 1200.
    Last edited by jeffsntx; 07-12-2007 at 12:31 PM.

+1
    You do need an EFI controller, most likely as soon as you add the race filter!

Thanks guys. I was hoping to escape the need for an EFI controller but I'll pick one up if needed. My thinking is that the few engine mods I'm doing, race filter and D-Cat, I'll have enough to turn a Dynafly. But I'm not sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CreekRunner View Post
    Thanks guys. I was hoping to escape the need for an EFI controller but I'll pick one up if needed. My thinking is that the few engine mods I'm doing, race filter and D-Cat, I'll have enough to turn a Dynafly. But I'm not sure.
    WFO will know for sure but I dont think so.

The most speed to be had is in the hull. You can pick up 5 MPH very easy with a grate, tabs, and a plate that is set up correctly. I think the only thing that you have planned that will require the EFI controller is the race filter. Just gut the stock air box (remove the metal screens) and I think you will be fine.

+1

Cool

add top loader first on the list

later cd

+1
    I'm sure WFO will chime on this thread before long but i'll beat him to it.... if you are going to seal the pump and or go faster at all for that matter you need to reinforce the pump tunnel..

as far as the efi and the filter.. i don't think the filter will require the controller

and yes the grate is just as important as the reinforcing the tunnel

I've read that there's speed in the rear of the hull. So the ride plate is a must. Probably send a R&D one down to Jim for moding, just want to make sure it's still good for chop. And I'll want to be careful with the tabs as well as to not hurt stability. I didn't think of reinforcing the tunnel, will have to look into it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPryan View Post
    I'm sure WFO will chime on this thread before long but i'll beat him to it.... if you are going to seal the pump and or go faster at all for that matter you need to reinforce the pump tunnel..

as far as the efi and the filter.. i don't think the filter will require the controller

and yes the grate is just as important as the reinforcing the tunnel
    You know I am all about the reinforcement.

Phase One
    Seal the pump (not sure if you need a kit for this or not)

Step the sponsons.
    Remove Cat & Install D-Plate
    Install Race Air Filter

Phase Two
    Install R&D (after it's been modified) ride plate
    Install Jet Works kit (with stealth mod)
    Install intake grate (800 or 1200?)

Phase Three
    Install Solas Dynafly impeller (not sure about pitch)
    Install VC3 Reeds
    Looks like a good plan.

You really dont need the controller with the filter, but you will need it with the reeds. Start with the 1200 grate in your first mods IMO. Best for handling and holeshot.

Also you could do the Jetworks when you do the D-plate and filter, since the pipe will be off.

You have the old style pump, so a Dynafly wont work. The pump upgrade is good, but its pricey.

As far as the plate in the chop, you could run less angle and it will be fine.

Thanks WRO. I'll run with the current pump. Is there any other impeller that would give a boost or should I keep the stock one?

I'll see what I get out of the first two groups of mods before I make a decision on reeds and EFI. That may not worth it for me. However I can probably do some additional things that I've been reading about at the rear to get speed out of the hull instead of engine. That looks like the most reliable way to get speed out of the GP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information