Death rev check list?

OK finally got the ski all put back together only to have death rev as soon as I start it up...starts up and hovers at 4kish for a few seconds and then climbs for 7K...if I work the choke I can maintain it at 3500 but as soon as I let go of the choke it revs right back up. As far as starting it starts right up no problem everytime. It was apart for the new flame arrestor and jet kit(Bill O'Neil kit). While I had the carbs off I replaced the fuel lines and cleaned all the fuel filters. Also put on a new wear ring at the same time.

So I did the searches and everyone says to check for air leaks..I used new base gaskets when I stuck the carbs on so I know that isn't the leak, checked pulse hose and such and hoses are all connected. Thinking it was fuel delivery I double checked all my carb settins L-1.5 & H-barely backed off from seated. THrottle plates open and close correctly, so now I'm baffled on what else to check...

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    correct plugs?

Idle stop screw?

When it does it, try going WOT to kill it. Running it too long like that will do damage.

is the linkage letting the carbs close properly?

linkage is fine, plugs are correct gapped and new, idle stop screw is adjusted all the way out just in case. Yea as soon as it gets past 6K i pull the lanyard. I just can't figure out what else I should be checking. I read a thread on another site where the guy had the same problem out of water, but it ran fine once it was in the water. While I'd be happy if that ends up being the case, there is still a reason why its revving and I'd prefer to have it fixed rather then ignore it.

ok so I called a pwc place today and they said that if it was a vac leak then it would continue running even after I pulled the lanyard, and I would of had to kill it by opening up the throttle all the way. He explained that in death rev, its caused by a vac leak that causes "auto spark" and isn't controlled by the ignition, so even when you turn the ski off it still auto sparks until killed. He said the fact that mine can be killed just by pulling the lanyard leads to something else. But in true "I want your money style" he said there were several causes and I would need to bring it in to have him look at it. So my question is, if its not a vac leak then what the hell else could cause it?

Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive View Post
    ok so I called a pwc place today and they said that if it was a vac leak then it would continue running even after I pulled the lanyard, and I would of had to kill it by opening up the throttle all the way. He explained that in death rev, its caused by a vac leak that causes "auto spark" and isn't controlled by the ignition, so even when you turn the ski off it still auto sparks until killed. He said the fact that mine can be killed just by pulling the lanyard leads to something else. But in true "I want your money style" he said there were several causes and I would need to bring it in to have him look at it. So my question is, if its not a vac leak then what the hell else could cause it?
    I had this happen a few nights ago. It reved up to 6000 and i pulled the lanyard, and nothing, it keep ticking. I quickly pulled the spark plug wires off with a pair of pliers, THE MACHINE KEPT RUNNING. The plug wires were away from the plugs, one was in the pliers still. CRAZY! I went WOT and it killed it. The only thing i was doing was sprayin bomb. lubricant in the airbox as per manual. But the Death Rev has always been there. It runs great on the water though. That is what puzzles me? This has been the 1st time it didnt die when i pulled the lanyard.
    Last edited by bj25430; 07-13-2007 at 10:43 AM.

+1
    Change any gaskets lately? This is just like an air leak I had when I forgot to install a gasket on a motor a while back. It sucks in air after the carb somehow and its just like hitting the throttle. Check for air leaks.

Thread Information