Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flywheel bolts sheared

First off I need to say thanks to the guy who towed my friend in and gave me some plugs for my gtx sc.

This day was not good, buddy and I went out on my skis, he takes the gtx sc gets out of the no wake and gets on the gas, ski dies won't restart. Swapped plugs from rxp to gtx and she fired right up...great dead plugs. Buy some different but almost the same plugs from the marina. We just wanted to get her running. Stupid plugs had a different nut size that I didn't have a tool for. Met a guy from the forums with a nice yellow rxp who gave a spare set of plugs. She fires right up and I head out to catch up with my buddy who is on my rxp. I look up and my friend is being towed by the guy who gave me the plugs, used his tow rope too. He wouldn't take any money for the plugs. (left you a note on your car, call me sometime I owe you some beer since you won't take money!)

So my friend says "I don't know what happened, going 8100 and all of the sudden the motor lost power and shut off." We try starting it and the starter is just spinning, I told him "I bet those damn flywheel bolts I've read about sheared" He feels real bad that "he broke my toys" but I tell him shit happens, better it happened to him than my wife
    Here are the pics:
    2005 rxp, stage 2+

How does that oil pump look? I've got that copper "sand" everywhere, engine needs to be cleaned or rebuilt just like after a ceramic failure.

Last edited by Lurker; 07-12-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    First off I need to say thanks to the guy who towed my friend in and gave me some plugs for my gtx sc.

This day was not good, buddy and I went out on my skis, he takes the gtx sc gets out of the no wake and gets on the gas, ski dies won't restart. Swapped plugs from rxp to gtx and she fired right up...great dead plugs. Buy some different but almost the same plugs from the marina. We just wanted to get her running. Stupid plugs had a different nut size that I didn't have a tool for. Met a guy from the forums with a nice yellow rxp who gave a spare set of plugs. She fires right up and I head out to catch up with my buddy who is on my rxp. I look up and my friend is being towed by the guy who gave me the plugs, used his tow rope too. He wouldn't take any money for the plugs. (left you a note on your car, call me sometime I owe you some beer since you won't take money!)

So my friend says "I don't know what happened, going 8100 and all of the sudden the motor lost power and shut off." We try starting it and the starter is just spinning, I told him "I bet those damn flywheel bolts I've read about sheared" He feels real bad that "he broke my toys" but I tell him shit happens, better it happened to him than my wife
    Here are the pics:
    2005 rxp, stage 2+

How does that oil pump look? I've got that copper "sand" everywhere, engine needs to be cleaned or rebuilt just like after a ceramic failure.

Sorry man been down tha road! The good thing but also crazy at the same time wartny was four months out and see doo paid for it I onely had a labor bill of $700 But it was in the shope for about 5 months and that was in the winter. Summer time no clue! Good luck with the ski keep me posted!

+1
    Damn Looks like it fucked up the stator also. Bet thats expensive.

I went thru this a while back and spent like $700 on parts.Did the labor myself since i was out of warranty.Plus the local dealer sux.

+1
    Reminds me of the snapped crank snouts on the gpr.

Everyone who reads this and has an 03-05 engine needs to replace these bolts with the new stronger replacement bolts seadoo has. Because this let go at 8100 rpm and I've got bits of copper everywhere I'm going to have to tear this engine apart and inspect everything for damage.

This whole situation is unacceptable, who in the hell puts normal "light duty" bolts in a high torque application INSIDE the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    This whole situation is unacceptable, who in the hell puts normal "light duty" bolts in a high torque application INSIDE the engine?
    Same people that put ceramic washers on their superchargers.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Lurker... you have PM.

Lurker, I really feel for ya man , that made my stomach sour...
    sorry to see this...

How the hell does something happen like this?
    is BRP using shit bolts?...PR...

Thanks Jeff! I replied back, you are a very generous guy!

PR, Take a look at this thread....http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...flywheel+bolts

Jerry needs to edit that post to say, don't fart around change them out now! I only have 47 hours on my rxp!

What I don't understand is why this happened. I can understand happening during startup, or stabbing the throttle from a stop, or full throttle in and out of the rough water, but this was on flat almost glass at 8100 rpm.

The only real silver lining is that now this means upgrade time! "No dear I just bought what I needed" "what, it feels faster and sounds louder to you?" "it's all in your head dear, you've gotten too used to your gtx sc"

I'm smelling a possible 80mph ski! lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information